thermostatic mixer shower too cold

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

Have had my Trevi Therm thermostatic mixer shower commissioned yesterday. It was factory set to 40 C, the plumber checked this with a thermometer and I got really good flow. It seemed warm enough to the touch.

Today my missus had a shower while I was at work and she said it was only luke warm and despite turning the knob past the safety lock, it would not go any hotter.

On my return from I work I tried it and it was a bit cold. I read the instructions again and noticed that the minimum hot water temp should be 52C. My combi boiler (Ferroli Optimax 31C) was only set to 45C for hot water. I upped this and tried the shower again. I also recalibrated it using the temperature monitor on my multimeter. Whilst the shower would easily settle at 40, the absolute max it would go to is 42C no matter what I did with the calibration dial (It would go no colder than about 37C). My boiler was apparantly putting out 56C according to the readout. Checks on the hot tap in the bathroom confirmed this.

I came back to it a bit later and again couldn't get temperature on the shower. Looking at the boiler the readout was only 45C despite it being set to 55C (maximum setting for HW).

Does anyone know why my boiler is failing to reach its HW setpoint?
And has anyone got any ideas about how I can increase the shower temperature. I would like the safety setpiont to remain at 40C but it won't go hotter than 42 no matter what. According to the instructions, at the end of the travel of the dial the temp should go to 50C. Is it the boiler that is stopping this from happening?

It was me who persuaded my missus to go for the thermostatic mixer (she wanted an electric), and it does give great flow, but I am in for trouble if we can't get it nice and warm!

Any help appreciated.

Cheers
Dan

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back