thermostatic mixer shower v electric shower

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all, we need to replace our basic shower arrangement in the bathroom. Currently we have a shower head on the wall that runs off the two bath taps - no thermostat, no pump etc

Now faced with a choice of what to put in - is it better to put in a thermostatic mixer shower with new taps or install an electric shower? Electric shower is cheaper to buy but more hassle to fit and dearer to run ? do most people go for the mixer type? are they a better bet? any probs with these? We have a traditional hot water system ie running off CH boiler or immersion (no combi)

Finally someone has told me you can tap into an immersion circuit to run an eclectric shower rather than run a dedicated cable to the fusebox - true or false?!

Thanks in advance........

Sponsored Links
Last point; VERY FALSE :eek:

Immersion heater circuits are 15/16 amp rated and use 2.5mm cable.

Electric showers are at least 30amp rated and need at least 6mm cable.

If you are happy with the flow from your present set up then the thermostatic should be ok.

Bear in mind they have to be fitted correctly with dedicated and balanced H & C supplies. If pressure is poor you may have to consider fitting a shower pump. More cost.

You can run a shower pump off the immersion circuit , in terms of the load - if it is more convenient - it probably comes up in the airing cupboard. You need to check the electrical requirements - fusing, ELCB etc. I assume you hardly ever use the immersion.
I have fitted a shower pump under the bath - been running for several years.

Sorry - ELCB = RCD

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back