Thermostatic Mixing Valve

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have an underfloor heating system fed by a Thermal store.
Temperature is limited by the thermostat on the Thermal Store to 60C
Water is pumped on Return circuit from distribution manifolds for the UFH

To aid in boiler efficiency and solving some other issues, I intend to add a 28mm Thermostatic Mixing valve .... The first picture represents position a 'as is'

as is.jpg

The 2nd picture is Option 1 ... preferred as much easier to add to the existing layout, pump position as is, i.e. pumping the return.

blending valve opt 1.jpg

The 3rd picture is Option 2 ... moving pumping out the flow of 'mixed water' rather than on return.

blending valve opt 2.jpg

Any reason that Opt 1 or 2 should be used .... or perhaps easier Q (for me) any reason I can't use Option 1

Sponsored Links
Just saw your question as Iv just posted my own and am also struggling for answers.
You have put it very well and your diagrams are lovely and clear, so while I know little to nothing about UFH I have observed that the pumps are always fitted after the mixing valve leading me to assume they work better under negative pressure….I may be wrong or maybe the mixing valves are certain types but I felt your clear and concise post at least deserved an attempt.

Good luck and if it’s already sorted it would be interesting to know the outcome

I had confirmation by valve manufacture and UFH company that Opt 2 must be used - you pump out of the valve blended output. Otherwise you can end up impacting the blended flow with water passing across instead of out through the mixing valve blended output.
Opt 1 was what my heating engineer advised, glad I did not follow his advice,

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back