Thermostatic Shower/Boiler Confusion

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all

Im thinking about putting a thermostatic shower in but am curious about a couple of things i've seen on the various posts.

1) People seem to have issue with regard to boiler sizing, will a thermostatic shower work ok with my vokera compact 24 or is it too small a boiler?

2) What do people mean by modulating boiler, how do i tell?

3) Im thinking about the concealed type of shower, just how deep does the chanel need to be? simply deep enough for the pipework?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
EDIT: Assuming it's a combi ...

1) If the 24 is the capacity then it'll run a shower (as long as you don't want it too hot and/or too high a flow rate). Don't expect to be able to fill a bath and have it ready before it's gone cold though.

2) Most (all ?) modern boilers modulate these days. Older boilers were either on or off - and if run at part load they had to turn on/off frequently. Modern ones can run at a range of powers - anything from about 1/3 power (or less ?) to full.
This means they don't need to turn on/off as often (good for efficiency when running the heating), but it also means it can run a shower directly without going hot-cold-hot-cold as it fires and then turns off.

3) Deep enough for the valves (if the valves are flush mounted), and the pipework and fittings.

thanks for the reply. looks like the 24 is the max kw output.

the reason i aks about the depth of the channel required is becasue it would need to go on a single skin block wall. am thinking it may be a little tight!

ta

Sponsored Links
nice job simonH2.

yeah, i think i can probably spare 50mm which might do it coupled with a bit of a channel.

im now just wondering if my boiler will be powerful enough. it is the vokera compact 24 combi and to be fair, i get a fair old rate of very hot water coming out of the bath taps so im not sure i would see a reduction in pressure coming in through a shower.

anyone else got a thermostatic shower running off a combi thats on the smaller side?

thanks

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back