Thick carpet underlay as temp "box room" insulatio

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
gooday DIYnot readers,

I have a loft space, think box room, with sod all insulation in rafters or underneath floorboards. This is above kitchen and is losing a lot of heat. The megaflow is in this space and varous pipes, and electrics for the inset kitchen lights are between joists of kitchen and cieling of kitchen.

My question: should I lift the floorboards as best I can and fill joists up and encase electics in plastic tube, put card caps over lights...etc.

...Or could I put 2 layers of heavy felt carper underlay over the whole floor as a temp solution - i.e. would this work insulate kitchen

NOTE: temporary as this would be for one winter only as upstairs will be reconfigured there and we would insulate properly at that time.

thank you.

Sponsored Links
It will feel warm to walk on, compared to bare timber, and it might stop droughts through the floorboards, but its actual insulation factor will be next to nothing.

even with tog rating of 3.5?
had a sneeking feeling someone might say that.
Suppose you don't get by without some graft.

Sponsored Links
I had tried to work that out, so thank you - very useful info.
I will spend and lift board and insulate properly.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back