Thoughts on fitting aircon heat pump unit to my basement?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all, I have Victorian house around 1900-1901 solid stone wall house. Basement is large around 650 square feet separated into 3 rooms. I've been researching ventilation and come across this air conditioner with heat pump that seems like a good idea but doesn't seem very popular in the UK but very popular in the US - guessing as they use the air con side of it more than the heating.

I can't really find any threads on anybody who has so any thoughts good or bad?

Unit I was looking at is

Sponsored Links
I can't comment on the item itself, but noticed a couple of things in your post.

I've been researching ventilation and come across this air conditioner with heat pump
This unit doesn't provide any ventilation, it just heats or cools the air that is already in the room. No fresh air is introduced.

Thoughts on fitting aircon heat pump to my basement?
I assume you are referring to fitting the indoor unit in the basement, the "heat pump" part has to be located outdoors.

The basement location may present a problem for you. When in cooling mode any moisture that is contained in the air passing through the indoor unit will condense on the cold condenser surface and produce water. Usually a continual drip to a trickle if it is particularly humid. This water will need to be got rid of, usually this is done via a drain outside. If your basement is below ground level and won't allow the water to escape to a drain by gravity you will need to pump the condensate up to a drain.

724b77394d1f102e81cdc33c3c8af947.png

Maybe someone will be along who can give you personal experience of this unit.

Couple of good and valid points! I was originally thinking of just a heat recovery ventilation unit but then wondered about heating the space as well but yes the air conditioning heat pump unit would just move the air already in the space. It wouldn't ever be used in cooling mode as basement stays around 16-7c in summer.

Seems strange they're very popular in the US but pretty unheard of hear for basements.

THAT one uses R290 aka Propane as refrigerant. Propane is flammable and heavier than air so will collect at the low point of a basement with no means to escape in the event of a leak in the indoor unit or pipework.
Probably a basement is not a suitable location for one (discuss with installers)?

I'm coming from Caravans with Propane gas installs where gas drop vents are provided to allow gas to fall out through the floor. Does anything similar apply to Gas boilers in basements whether Propane or Natural?

Other refrigerants may be more suitable (although some are toxic in large enough amounts, e.g. R32).

Sponsored Links
Probably a basement is not a suitable location for one (discuss with installers)?

Interesting........As this unit has R290 refrigerant is described not needing professional installation. (Unlike those that have R32 which do) So, I'm guessing that it's plug and play, and supplied pre-gassed.

Interesting........As this unit has R290 refrigerant is described not needing professional installation. (Unlike those that have R32 which do) So, I'm guessing that it's plug and play, and supplied pre-gassed.
You are aware that lots of F-gas units are available to but in 'plug and play' kit form?
Still not legal to self install.

This make and model's Install guide states:

INSTALATION GUIDE
SAFETY
Only qualified personnel should install this appliance.
This installation manual is intended for use by individuals possessing adequate backgrounds and qualifications in electrical, electronic, refrigerant and mechanical fields.​

lots of F-gas units are available to but in 'plug and play' kit form? Still not legal to self install.

That's different to the info about the unit in the link the OP posted:

Screenshot 2023-09-29 095152.png

Based on that, I'm sure some folks will buy this and plan to install it themselves.

If that is the case, then how do you get the pipes used through any wall in the way? It must need someone to route the pipes between the units and then fill. That would then require a vacuum pump to get rid of any moisture from the air that would be in the pipes as well as being able to seal the unit off at the correct pressure.

As an apprentice, 40 years ago I came across a pre-gassed system being installed in a computer room. Although I was only involved with the wiring, I seem to remember at the time that the compressor part came pre-charged with its pipes already connected and there was a valve that works on a similar principle to the valve on a car tyre. It's opened when the pipe is screwed into place and released the refrigerant into the whole system. No idea what happened to the existing air, I don't recall it being vented or dried.......no doubt like computers, aircon technology has moved on since then.

I'm sure some folks will buy this and plan to install it themselves.
I'm sure so, too. As people have done with the ones that "require" F-gas qualified in the past (such self-install units have been around for donkeys years, even before F-gas qualification was a thing).

But is it safe for them to self install in the OP's case?
Especially in a Basement with this explosive gas (Propane)??
I dunno! and am just hoping to make the OP think carefully and seek advice from an expert.

I have no DIY skills at all so rest easy I would not attempt anything myself lol. I'm leaning towards just getting ventilation for now, I was just curious about a smallish heat pump for the heating side of things - like if that could heat the basement space adequately it seems like the best option compared to underfloor or central heating. The boiler is in the basement already so I guess adding some radiators wouldn't be a big job but worried about how much it would add to the gas bill. I'm assuming if I went central heating route then I would then need to insulate and ventilate.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back