Thread size / adapter

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I opened the box on a esbe mixer valve for our radiator system and it has completely the wrong fittings from what I ordered (threaded flat flange 3/4), instead it has 22mm compression olive fittings, plus it has a dent on the olive area so it wont seal. It has the flow specs when I checked on the esbe site, but its sat round in a box since last winter and now too late to send it back, and too late to order another (it took our supplier 7 weeks to get this one!).

I can however machine the end true to below the damaged olive taper depth (on a milling machine) giving a flat flange fitting as originally ordered but the thread on the nut is not 3/4" bsp. The threads are much finer and its a slightly different size. I'd like to do this to end up with a screw fitting rather than trying to recreate the olive taper deeper in, as things might get a bit tight if I take that route...

Anyone know what it is? Its not a unique size I found the same thread on a orphaned tap body fitting in a box. I can measure the tpi but this is usually something people out there know off the tops of their heads. I can make it flat and get a fitting next-day'd here from someone else if I know what to order.

TIA

Sponsored Links
Brass fittings traditionally used BSB (British Standard Brass) threads.

BSB threads are 26 TPI, 55° Whitworth thread form for all diameters.

The metric equivalent would be a 1mm pitch 60° ISO thread form.

However the fitting manufacturer is free to use whatever thread form and pitch he considers appropriate - he is supplying both threaded components, and the only 'standard' he has to meet is the need for the fitting to accept a 22mm olive.

I would be more inclined to make up a tapered reamer to clean up the damaged seating.

Hi, thanks for your reply, I took the advice and mounted it on the lathe faceplate with a heath robinson setup, and turned a new olive seating on it. I was thinking about soldering the pipe into the fitting solid, but figured the heat would damage the rubber seats inside.
Might order a new one anyway just as a spare in case it starts to weep after being damaged in transit, but for now its good enough.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back