Three phase phase angle between phase to phase

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Guys,

I need to ask something here.
I know for a three phase system, each phase is separated by 120 degree.
But now i have a scope meter from fluke (fluke 123) to measure a star network, that means no Neutral reference.
What i did was measuring phase to phase on 2 channel, A and B.

This is my setup.
1)
Channel A= L12 (red probe to L1 black probe to L2)
Channel B=L23 (red probe to L2 black probe to L2)
I get a 60 degree separation angle between them.

2)
Channel A= L12 (red probe to L1 black probe to L2)
Channel B=L31 (red probe to L3 black probe to L1)
I get a 60 degree separation angle between them two.

Can anyone confirm to me whether phase to phase spearation angle is 120 degree? If so, why?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
You need your black probe for both channels connected to the same phase conductor. Otherwise you are applying a 180° phase shift to one waveform (viewing waveform upside down). Hence 180-120=60° viewed phase shift.

Sponsored Links
You need your black probe for both channels connected to the same phase conductor. Otherwise you are applying a 180° phase shift to one waveform (viewing waveform upside down). Hence 180-120=60° viewed phase shift.

Hi again sean, i had tried ya advice but i still get a 60 degree reading.Can u teach me how to properly measure the phase angle different between phase in a star network that i dont have connection to neutral and earth? I am using scopemeter fluke 123, which i think both channel -ve are common.How do i make a display of 120 degree phase angle difference with the fluke scopemeter?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back