Three rolled coats over lining paper and still patchy. Help!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Dear gurus,
I started with Wickes 1000 lining paper (walls full of hairline cracks), and this went without a hitch. I even used filler in the gaps to give a 'professional' finish (very short-lived!)
Then the nightmare started.
I used a medium pile Wickes roller (cheap as chips type with tray) and Wickes own vinyl matt paint.
I used the paint straight undiluted, and although not easy to roll, the finish was ok. But a little patchy. Probably down to me not putting enough paint on the roller, and being too quick.
So I decided to apply a second coat.
This time, to make it easier to apply, I diluted by about 10% (I never measured exactly). The result was much worse than the first coat! Very patchy, especially in natural light (not so bad with the light on).
So back to Wickes for another 5 litres and a more expensive, micro-fibre roller. Third time lucky. Undiluted this time.
How wrong I was.
It's worse than ever. It's the uneven texture that seems to be causing the patchiness.
So what now? Would a fourth coat using a long-pile sheepskin roller save the situation? Or should I just give up (and ask my brother to do it!)?
Any help would be most appreciated.
Thanks, Dave (feeling very stupid!)

Sponsored Links
Well it could be your technique, the paint or a mixture of both, you say you applied filler to the gaps, so after sanding did you mist those areas prior to painting. Not doing so can cause you to get a patchy finish.

Stay with the medium pile roller and perhaps try a trade quality emulsion instead of the Wickes paint and see if this makes a difference. In your situation it is difficult to ascertain the reason for your poor finish, a pic or to may help here.

Thanks TheDec.
Attached image - doesn't look quite so bad in real life.
Forgot to say that I've tried to work over the patches with a pad - but just made things worse.

Sponsored Links
I think you should try a trade quality paint and roll it out in an even manner, dont stop the roller and then remove it remove it whilst it is still spinning. Not an easy one to try and determine the root cause of your problem.

Dec

Thanks Dec. Good advise - I'm sure I was doing it all too quickly. Not sure how the missus will take to losing her new colour. But it might be the only solution. Once again, many thanks.

Dave
Difficult to tell from the photo but it could be something that was on the wall bleeding through the paper and paint. But most likely a combination of poor quality paint and rolling it out too far. As suggested before get a good quality trade paint, I notice you are in London, try and find your nearest Leyland SDM shop and try their paint and don't be afraid to load the roller right up with paint and do a much smaller area before loading up again. Try not to keep going over the same area as you wil start to take the paint off that you have just applied. Also there are some pretty useful instructional vids on you tube.
Good luck, keep the missus happy!

How long are you waiting between coats? Have seen similar problems when trying to apply second coat too soon after first, so effectively end up pulling off the first coat.
Leave it for a day and apply another coat. Get plenty on the roller and use a criss-cross method to apply rather than straight up and down so you get a more even spread of paint rather than the streaky effect you seem to have in the pic.
Never had any issues with the quality of Wickes emulsion myself and have often painted on lining exactly as you have done.

Take your time diy rollers range crap the don't hold any paint. You don't get far with a trade roller nevermind a diy one. Also try better paint iv not tried wicks but I have used bandwidth own brand it begins with a V. Any way just take it slow and use plenty of paint

Thanks for the responses. I never thought decorating could be so difficult My respect goes out to all of you.
To answer some of your questions:

Aarus, no, the paper was clean and nothing bled through. As you say, poor paint (or too thick, plasticky paint), and rolling it to far. And again, if I was to do it again, I would make sure the room was cold - so it doesn't dry out as fast.

Kbdiy, I waited 24 hours between coats. Plenty time, according to the tin. But I'm only now understanding about the roller 'pulling off' the paint. The roller would be nice and loaded, the pile standing up nicely. And after a roll on the wall, the roller would be completely flat - without pile. Still holding paint, but not leaving it on the wall. Maybe I should stick to a brush!

Curlyzoo, yes, definitely better quality non-plastic (ie. emulsion, not vinly) paint, and slowly, slowly.

Joe, the paint was unusually thick! It almost dried before it was on the wall. Or it appeared to be dry. But pulled the paint from the roller when I went over it.

Anyway, finally, finally, thanks to all of you for your time and help.
Dave

"Bin decorating for over 20 years" Nothing beats a good 6 inch brush for applying Emulsion to walls, rollers may be quick and easy never found they give a good finish

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back