Throttle issue with Ford Ka (1999)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a Ford Ka (T reg - 1999) which has developed an issue with the throttle. There are a few scenarios where that it shows so I will list them.

1) When I am driving up to traffic lights and push the clutch in to stop, the revs will jump up until the vehicle has stopped for a second or two.

2) When I pull away and get up to speed, I can take my foot off the throttle pedal and the car will pretty much stay at that speed. It does eventually begin to slow down but nowhere near as quickly as it should.

I wandered if it was something simple like a problem with the values that the ECU was running on for the throttle so I disconnected the battery for an hour to try to reset which do not seem to have any effect.

I just need to figure out what part is causing the issue so I can replace it, any ideas? Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Could just be something simple, you checked all the carpets/mats down by the pedals etc etc to make sure nothings restricting its movement?

The engine may have a small bit of air getting into the inlet manifold, due to a cracked/broken pipe. Or the Idle control valve need a clean with carburetor cleaner

Thanks for the suggestions guys.

Could just be something simple, you checked all the carpets/mats down by the pedals etc etc to make sure nothings restricting its movement?

I had a look and couldn't see anything that was in the way.

The engine may have a small bit of air getting into the inlet manifold, due to a cracked/broken pipe. Or the Idle control valve need a clean with carburetor cleaner

I had a look at the air pipes into the throttle body but couldn't see any wear on them. I took the air intake off the throttle housing to have a look inside. It seems to be the cleanest part of the engine in side there!! However, whilst I was testing the throttle I was simulating the pedal being pressed by pulling the cable to see the valve open and close. After doing this, it seems to have gone away.....for now at least. I am assuming that something was sticking a little.

I am going to give the spring housing which the the cable connects to the throttle on a good clean with WD40 and then put a little grease on it to see if that makes it go away permanently.

Will let you know....

Sponsored Links
As I said in my last post, I sprayed a load of WD-40 on the spring mechanism that connects the throttle cable to the throttle housing and then re-greased it.

Since then, it hasn't happened once!! Must have just been getting stuck. :rolleyes:

Thanks for the ideas.

Back