Thumping Noise - Please Help

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Good Morning! I've noticed recently that when the boiler comes on to heat the hot water, if the three-way valve has been to heating, that there is a thumping in the pipes as the hot water starts flowing. I've got a header tank in the loft so would that be causing air to get into the system?

Thanks again, David

Sponsored Links
Can anyone help? The thump only happens when I've had the central heating on and, once it's off, when I turn the hot water on. There is what appears to be a bleed screw by the inlet to the hot water cylinder, have opened that until water comes out then re-tightened it leaving only the holes showing but no water seeping out.

I've also got a Grundfos Selectric 15-50 pump off one of the legs on my three-way valve, it is set on speed 3, but is this just for the radiator circuit and not the hot water? From what I've read I've got a pumped heating circuit and gravity hot water circuit so is there anything else on the hot water system I could bleed?

Please help as this thumping is quite loud and I'm worried in case it's causing any shock damage to pipe joints etc....

Thank you all and have a Happy Christmas! David

If you have a 3 way valve it sounds like you have a fully pumped vented system. It could be a problem with the 3 way valve or a pump overrun switch. If the boiler fires up and the pump does not, this will cause banging as the hot/ boiling water vents to the F/e tank.

Try to re create the symptoms and see if the boiler fires and the pump does not. There is a large screw on the end of the pump. With a dish or bucket or towels under the pump, remove this screw and gently insert a screw driver. If you feel a vibration the pump is working. With the screw removed there will be a slight continuous trickle from the pump

See FAQ 14 here //www.diynot.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=175736

Sponsored Links
Snug, thanks for telling me that, I tried it and it made no difference. However, I did turn the speed of the pump down from 3 to 2 which seems to have sorted it.

Any reason why it woudl thud when hotwater is selected on speed 3 but not thud when heating is selected on speed 3? i can see that the pipes into the hot water cylinder are larger than those into the radiators - 28mm to 15mm - could this be the cause?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back