Ticking heating system ticks like an old fashioned alarm clock.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi Guys, had my boiler serviced and switched on now with the colder nights. The problem is when the rads come on I get a very loud ticking noise which happens when it stops or starts again depending on the thermostat setting. I have bleed all the rads but its not improved really loud ticking which speeds up and down, any suggestions please.
Tully.

Sponsored Links
As above just think of it as a reassuring sound, the heating is on and working!(y)

As above & above, unless you can pinpoint the noise to one specific location typically: your boiler, even then it could just be your system "breathing".

Sponsored Links
Thank you so much for your advice, I brought the house from an older couple heating been in for over twenty years, now you have explained it seems to be a pipe in the wall going upstairs to my bedroom

I had this with my old single pipe heating system, used to find it infuriating.
When I decided to upgrade to a two pipe I actually justified some of the cost thinking " at least a newly piped system will be quiet".
I was wrong, just new ticking noises.
So before I had new carpets I spent a day lifting all the boards again, then wrapped all pipes in hair felt stuff anywhere rubbing might be possible.
Best day's work I've ever done! Silence since.
I do think heating installers should do this as a matter of course. Reading in here, some do.
Some pipes were so tight to notches that noise was inevitable.
It seems bizarre to me that so many regulations exist about fitting heating system systems, but something as simple and basic as this isn't stipulated!
Lift the boards in any room whenever the opportunity arises ( usually when new carpets are due...)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back