Tightening mixer tap

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've got a mixer tap in a basin that's super loose and I'm trying to work out how to tighten it. But this is all I can see underneath, any ideas what this thing is and why it's (presumably) blocking access to a nut concealed in the cavity above that I need to tighten?
PXL_20210625_174107722.jpg PXL_20210625_163252633.jpg

...or is it sledgehammer time?

Sponsored Links
I think it is tightened from above . Show us pics of the tap

Sure, here it is from above. Looks like a regular mixer tap to me.
PXL_20210625_183114171.jpg

Is there a tiny grub screw ,low down ,on the tap body ? Maybe at the back and not so easy to see ?

Sponsored Links
Is there a tiny grub screw ,low down ,on the tap body ? Maybe at the back and not so easy to see ?

Nope, nothing at all!

By all accounts it looks like a traditional fitting, and this is confirmed by other similar Ideal Standard technical docs I've seen. But no idea how to get a tool past that thing in my first picture! Maybe the white plastic wings do something?

I can't see how that can be tightened from below. There is a rod running thru the bolt ,is that for pop up waste operation ?
It is " similiar" to a tap I have seen before ,that needed a long Allen key introduced from the top of the tap ( after the rod is removed)

1. +1 for terryplumb.
2. Remove pop up waste rod from back of tap, and use long Allen key to tighten.

1. +1 for terryplumb.
Is it possible there's a hexagon hole in the bottom of the threaded part, so it can be tightened from below with an ordinary Allen key? (anticlockwise to tighten). After removing pop up waste rod.

I have never seen that sort of tap fixing before. My advice would be to replace the tap.

Andy

I can't see how that can be tightened from below. There is a rod running thru the bolt ,is that for pop up waste operation ?
It is " similiar" to a tap I have seen before ,that needed a long Allen key introduced from the top of the tap ( after the rod is removed)

1. +1 for terryplumb.

Thanks both - this was it! Removed rod, inserted 5mm hex, tightened up like a dream.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back