Tile around pipe

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all

We are having a new bathroom fitted and I have a Q regarding something my tiler has done...

Around the radiator pipe, which leads into the floor, they have cut a U shape into the tile rather than drilling a hole through it. I imagine that they have done this because the plumber (who is also the overall bathroom fitter and subcontracted the tiler) has left the radiator valves on.

I have to say, I was hoping that they would have removed the valves and cut a hole in the tile. How much extra work would this have been for them?

Looks pretty rubbish at the moment... hoping it will look much better when there is some grout in there and a chrome base cover has been put on... will it?!

Sponsored Links
P.S. When I called the plumber about it he informed me that this was normal and that the tiler would not have been able to do anything else. I do feel a little "fobbed off" - in general though, I've found this plumber to be pretty decent and patient with my questions etc - he has always been on the end of the phone to me.

shame the plumber wasnt there to take the valve off but that wouldve probably meant a drain down which couldve taken hours to do??

why disnt the tiler piece in a bit where the u is that way at least you could see he tried to get over the problem?.

The plumber has indeed "fobbed you off" tell him you want it done right, as this will bug you every time you see it in the future, I guarantee! It's no biggie draining the system and removing the valve.

Sponsored Links
you say he cut a U shape, has he not cut a smaller piece to put in behind the pipe ?
It is definately not the tilers job to take valves off and drain the ch system down in order to drill and fit your tile, unless this was agreed before work began. If you are not happy there is a simple remedy, get the plumber to remove the valve and drain the sytem, then the tiler can simply remove the other tile and replace with a drilled one.

To be honest this is something your plumber should have discussed with your tiler and yourself, as he knew which way the tiler was going around your pipes, which by the way is the right way, if not drilling. so no you are not being fobbed off by your plumber.

The plumber has indeed "fobbed you off" tell him you want it done right, as this will bug you every time you see it in the future, I guarantee! It's no biggie draining the system and removing the valve.

the plumber has not fobbed him off, and you say it is no biggie draining the system, hows about refilling and aybe having to rebalance the system, something that should be done by a qualified plumber NOT a tiler

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back