tile cladding

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My house has some very dated green cladding tiles on the front. A have a few questions:
1. Can I paint them with masonry paint?
2. If I don't paint them, what is a cost effective alternative? Any ideas? I would prefer low maintenance.

Many thanks

Sponsored Links
I'm not sure what these tiles are made from - are we talking ceramic? How big of an area? A photo would be good.

Is the cladding tiles porous or semi-porous or non-porous ?

Sponsored Links
They appear to be non porous. They have a texture like coarse sandpaper. They have redland stamped on the back of them and looks like they are made of cement.

Not the most attractive things, but the thought of ripping them off fills me with fear. I have taken some off to fit a porch, and I would need to remove all the tiles, batons, bitumen vapour barrier, repair around the windows etc etc. Looks like a huuuuge job. Seems much easier to paint them.

I emailed Sandtex and they said that I may struggle to get adhesion with masonry paint (not sure they knew which tiles I was referring to), but I cant understand why. If they are made of cement/concrete isn't this the same as painting render?

If you aren't sure, I suggest you take one of the tiles you say you've taken off to your local paint store (Dulux, Leyland etc) and let them recommend a paint. Or have you binned them?

If it non-porous (i.e. water sinks into it) then i would advize you use Zamix Coverseal.

Then use an Pliolite Based Masonry Paint.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back