Masonry paint on timber cladding

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
While I'm asking questions about painting larch cladding - I keep finding suggestions on t'Internet of using masonry paint on exterior cladding. Does anyone have any experience of this, and think it is, or isn't a good idea? I have the best part of a 5 litre tin left over from painting a wall a couple of years ago, which would be enough (I think) for a couple of coats on the 14 sq m of larch cladding that I will need to paint. if you were to use it, would you use a separate primer first, or instead use a thinned coat of masonry paint (which is what Bedec recommend for their Barn Paint, which is my other option)?

A friend of mine used masonry paint for this purpose, and after about 8 years it's flaking. That might be down to the paint or it might be down to the preparation (aluminium primer, and the wood was tanalised). Or it might just be time...

I'll be very grateful for the benefit of anyone's experience.

Cheers
Richard

Sponsored Links
No real harm in using the masonry paint in my opinion, but flaking after 8 years is quite normal I'd say. Especially if it's an outdoor cladding? Obviously using a wood paint might work better, but it'd still flake with age. If and when it does, then it just means it's due for a new coat!

If you use a shed-and-fence stain, which leaves a waxy water-repellent coating, it is very easy to recoat when the fancy takes you, just wash it down and brush on. No sanding required. If you ever feel the need to strip it off, a jetwasher held close will do it.

Sponsored Links
Thanks both for your comments. I'm still interested in knowing if anyone has any experience of using masonry paint on timber cladding, or knows anyone that has successfully done so.

Cheers
Richard

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back