Tiles have removed plaster!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Just ripped down some nasty old tiles in the kitchen and a fair bit of the plaster came with some of the tiles. It I were to skim back over this, would it be ok to leave any firmly fixed plaster there? Or is it best to get the lot off and do the whole wall with a couple of fresh coats? The wall is solid brick with a base coat of plaster, only seems to be the finishing coats that have been removed with the tiles(approx 2 or 3mm).

Thanks

Ste

Sponsored Links
Hi Ste,

As Brist says, no need to remove all the old plaster, only the loose bits. This can then be kimmed.

Are you re-tiling the all? If so, rather than re-skimming you could probably just patch the areas that have come away. If painting or papering though then definately re-skim the lot.

Regards

Fred

Hi chaps,

It will be a paint or paper finish depending on the condition of the other walls! It is a 6m by 3m room mostly papered at present, don't fancy skimming a nice finish on all walls!

Ste

Sponsored Links
Then I'd skim it rather than patching it. I'd probably patch the hollows with bonding first and then skim the whole wall.

If you're removing paper and wishing to paint then I'd strongly recommend lining paper before painting. If you paint over a previously papered wall the old paste residue (and there will be some left no matter how hard you try to remove it all) will eat at the emulsion and cause crazing or cracking over time.

If you want painted plaster then your only real option will be to skim the lot.

Regards

Fred.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back