Tiles on old tiles?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello 1st post here in the Tiling section please go easy.

I have quite a small bathroom which we did when we 1st moved in about 6/7 years ago.

We did it just basic back then and now want to improve it. With it only being small I dont mind spending a bit on it. I wont be doing the work because I am poo at tiling :eek: .

Can new tiles go over the old ones? We are thinking of doing the floor and the walls (Half height round the room and Full height round the shower) The floor is not currently tiled.

When a tiler does the bathroom floor do they cut round the toilet and basin or just lift them?

Can you have Electric underfloor heating in a bathroom?

Thanks. :D

Sponsored Links
Welcome to the dark side...
con1_uk said:
Can new tiles go over the old ones?
Yep. So long as the existing tiles are sound (no hollow sound when you tap them) you can tile over them. You need to wash down the tiles with sugar soap and then rinse. Do this twice. Then dry. Tile as normal, but don't have the joints in the same place as the underlying tiles. Also, if using a pre-mixed adhesive, you need to wait at least 3 days before grouting to allow the adhesive extra time to go off.

con1_uk said:
The floor is not currently tiled.
What's the floor at the minute? Floorboards, chipboard, concrete, asphalt???

con1_uk said:
When a tiler does the bathroom floor do they cut round the toilet and basin or just lift them?
Depends, how good they are and how much you want to spend. It's recommended, but will cost more cause there's more work involved in adjusting plumbing.

con1_uk said:
Can you have Electric underfloor heating in a bathroom?
Yep.

Thanks for you reply.

My current floor is floorboards covered with plywood I then fitted thoose sticky back floor tiles to the plywood.

The plywood is new and sound.

Sponsored Links
Half inch thick

I am not sure if it is Weather and Boil Proof but it was fitted by a plumber when he did the bathroom so I presume so.

Should be fine at that. It needs to be screwed down every 200mm all over the face of the sheets though.

One of the reasons we are doing it is because it looks dated and because of the mould on the grout.

Is there mould free grout available? If there is does it work?

Thanks.

con1_uk said:
Is there mould free grout available?
I've not come across anything that that prevents mould growth for long. Mould can be kept at bay with regular cleaning though. Having said that, an epoxy grout isn't porous like regular cementious grout so that will help. Be warned though, it's hard work using it.

Thanks for your reply, what would you recommend for cleaning just general detergents?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back