Tiling advice please.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, Just finished installing new worktops in my kitchen last night, I am eager to start tiling (up to below the wall units), the thing is I have several double sockets/cooker switch/central heating control box etc.. in the area I want to tile. The sockets etc are the standard 'white' type but I would like to change them for stainless steel type, but I haven't seen the ones I would like yet, only type i've seen are at B&Q they don't look too great and they are quite expensive (so i'll have to wait a while before i can fit them).
Can I go ahead and start tiling and replace the sockets at a later date or would that 'kind of' make a mess of the grout/finish? also where do you suggest 'generally' the best place to start the tiles, 'L-shape' kitchen, centre of the 'hob' I think?? there is a combi in the corner.

Sponsored Links
The fixing holes should be the same as the current sockets, so yeah, you can start tiling and just replace them as and when you get them.
Find the centre of the wall and from there see how the tiles will finish at each end. Just kinda walk two tiles along the wall to the edges. If you have a thin cut to make, try repositioning the centre tile a bit and see if that gives you a bigger tile at the edges. It should be even at each end though.
Gcol

Thanks for the advice, haven't got the tiles on yet, once i removed the 'anaglipta' wall paper, the walls resembled the surface of the moon!! so I spent most of the weekend prepping the walls. thanks again especially with regards to positioning of the tiles.

Cheers.

Sponsored Links
The walls don't need to be completely smooth - the adhesive will take up most imperfections. Just make sure the surface is sound and isn't dusty and it should be fine.
Gcol

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back