Tile up to the worktop?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I'm about to start tiling my kitchen walls with a rough stone 'tile'. I've seen a sample with a gap between tiles of about 10mm, and I am doing the same.

I'm not sure about tiling up to the worktop. I asume that I don't tile right up to the worktop, but rather leave room for a line of grout (for the sake of waterproofing).

Am I right about this?

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
I usually butt the bottom row of tiles right onto the WT, then seal with clear silicon after grouting.

Make sure you use a "wide joint" grout to avoid cracks as the grout dries out.

Jason

I normally leave a 2-3mmm gap and use a bead if white silicon, only works with white grout of course.

Thanks for both suggestions.

Jasonb - I have the correct grout for the job. :)

I'm using a limestone coloured grout, and would rather not have any visible silicon - The tiles are cut stone and I'm not sure I would be able to run a nice clean, even bead.

I was thinking - the tiles are about 3 times the thickness of a usual tile. Would it be possible to leave a 2-3mm gap between worktop and tile, run a bead of silicon at the back of the gap, then grout over it? Is this even necessary? Will the grout by itself be sufficient?

Sponsored Links
You will get some movement in the units/worktop so the grout joint may crack over time, also any spills of wine, tea etc may stain the grout.

Jason

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back