Tile up? Or tile down?

Softus said:

Correction...

Pretentious plumber + silicone = trouble! ;)

Well in my experience plumbers and bedroom/kitchen fitters are the most guilty when it comes to 'silicone abuse'

Why wipe the excess on a piece of rag when a wall (that normally needs to be painted) will do!!??

Sponsored Links
I see your point - I guess that having to look at the silicone smears is what distracts all of you decorators as you slop gloss paint over those door locks, door hinges and rad valves. :rolleyes:

No..its wiping flux off the back of joints that normally distracts me...otherwise id be smothering up the bleeder valves on the rads too

Dont forget we are the finishing trade...without us the industry would be nothing...

Allthough i do have a soft spot for the 'deaf an dummers' and sparkies...without whom we would have no heating and nowhere to plug our radios in.

Although it has to be said...sparkies are definatly the messiest...wirse all over the floor etc

Anyone else?

My customers generally get the decorators in before me, because they know I leave the place tidier than when I found it, and I can put right all the problems they caused while they were there. :D

Sponsored Links
Softus said:
gcol said:
I think it's worth mentioning that cheapo tile cutters often struggle with porcelain - usually they're ok when you're cutting a good portion of the tile but when you want to cut a small piece off (say a 20mm strip) they can't handle it and the tile more often than not, breaks. As with most things, you do get what you pay for.
You're right - perhaps I should've mentioned that I use a big Rubi. ;)
Good man! I use a Rubi too - just the 40 though, cause that fits nice on kitchen worktops and does most of what I need to do. Anything bigger I just break over my knee. ;)

I feel I should add here that my last comment was a joke and under no circumstances should tiles be cut using yours, or anyone else's knee.

used the wet saw in the end. I have a fairly big tile cutter (can't vouch for it's quality!) and it snapped them nice and straight, but left chipping to the finish of the tile.

Also have stacked the tiles as apposed to brick them, is going fine so far. Fingers crossed.

Glad it turned out well for you...just goes to show a little inestment in the right tools can make all the difference.

what is the best way to finish the edge of tiles. There is one run of tiles where the terracotta colour of the edge of the tile is visible.

chrisz said:
what is the best way to finish the edge of tiles. There is one run of tiles where the terracotta colour of the edge of the tile is visible.
If you don't like the plastic trim, use decorator's caulk or grout - both can be emulsioned.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back