Tiling around soil pipe

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
What do you find is the best method of tiling around the soil pipe behind the pan? Sometimes it works out that there is a quadrant to cut off off four tiles, other times a half-moon off two or sometimes a hole through the middle.

Has anyone ever tried tiling the wall and cutting through with a core cutter (when the pan has been moved to a fresh part of the wall).

What's your best method?

joe

Sponsored Links
Hi

I wouldn't try tiling first then drilling the hole! :mad: The tiles would likely brake.

This is what i would do.

Tile as far to the soil pipe as possible until you come to the awkward parts. Cut some card or paper the same size as a tile that you are using.

Place the card/paper template in the place where your awkward tile is going around the soil pipe. Fold the template according to the shape of the pipe. Cut the template to the shape as marked and test it fits the position on the wall.

Once the templates looks like a good fit, offer it to the tile and mark the tile with a pencil. You can then use a tile saw to cut the curved lines.

I believe some electric diamond wheel tile cutters can also cut in curves (rather than just straight).

You will be sealing or grouting the edge of the tile where it meets the soil pipe so 100 % accuracy isn't always neccessary

That is what i would do.. It's up to you at the end of the day though! :)

Hope this helps

Good luck :)

I agree Chris. That's good advice.

joe

When tiling walls (or the floor up to a toilet), often the problem isn't to cut a round hole in the tile, but to cut the tile to match the contour of a wall hung sink or (in the case of floor tiles) a toilet bowl.

Here's a trick that I've found works very well to accurately mark tiles for cutting:

1. Hang the sink temporarily and trace the footprint of the sink on the wall in pencil or whatever.

2. Remove the sink and place a clear plastic bag in the place where your cut tile is going to be. (Place the corner of the bag in the corner where the cut tile's corner will be.)

3. Trace the contour of the sink footprint onto the clear plastic bag with a felt pen.

4. Drop a tile into the clear plastic bag and position it's corner in the corner of the bag referred to in Step #2. Drop a piece of carbon paper into the bag in front of the tile.

5. Trace the contour drawn onto the plastic bag with a blunt instrument to mark that same contour onto the tile in carbon onto the tile face.

6. Cut the tile along the carbon trace to get a piece that will match the contour of the sink or toilet bowl the tile has to butt up to.

I find that the smallest bags available free of charge in hardware stores (when you buy nails and drywall screws) are ideal for this purpose since they're made of thick enough clear plastic that they hold their rectangular shape when held up against a wall. Just take some acetone or lacquer thinner to clean off any printing on the bag first, tho.

Sponsored Links
Also tiling should be done before fitting a basin or toilet if you want to do the job properly ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back