Tiling external corners

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Has anyone any advice on tiling external corners?

I have an external corner 3 tiles high, how should the tile edges be applied?

thanks in anticipation

jmac :idea:

Sponsored Links
I am using the tile edges, but where the tiles come together at the corner you can put tile edge above the tiles (ie 3 tiles high) and also verticaly up the corner, I can cut a 45 degree angle for the trim at the top of the tiles, but how should the vetical edge be cut to butt to the top trim

Hope this is clearer

I assume you are trying to butt 3 lengths of trim; 2 horizontally on top of the tiles & one vertical on the outside corner. I did not want to use trim, particularly on the vertical corners; I had it in my previous kitchen & thought it looked a bit naff!

I chose a thin mosaic border for the top, a bit more expensive but it looks nice. A really neat vertical, external corner can be achieved using a diamond wheel tile cutter. These are a boon & really cheap now; even the budget DIY ones will produce excellent results as long as you don’t rush it.

Cut the back edge of the tiles at 45 degrees, leaving about ½ mm below the ceramic face to avoid it chipping & just butt together the external corners. Once you’ve got the cutter set up, cut enough tiles for the whole job to make sure they are all the same.

Sponsored Links
Richard C said:
I assume you are trying to butt 3 lengths of trim; 2 horizontally on top of the tiles & one vertical on the outside corner. I did not want to use trim, particularly on the vertical corners; I had it in my previous kitchen & thought it looked a bit naff!

I chose a thin mosaic border for the top, a bit more expensive but it looks nice. A really neat vertical, external corner can be achieved using a diamond wheel tile cutter. These are a boon & really cheap now; even the budget DIY ones will produce excellent results as long as you don’t rush it.

Cut the back edge of the tiles at 45 degrees, leaving about ½ mm below the ceramic face to avoid it chipping & just butt together the external corners. Once you’ve got the cutter set up, cut enough tiles for the whole job to make sure they are all the same.

Richard C
Tiled external corners ...

as always its a matter of Opinion .....

but as someone who has been doing this work for 20 odd years , trust my opinion here .. ;)

many thanks for the alternative option, but, if I want to use edges how do I butt the 3 corners neatley?

jmac
well its aways a face front of course , lol ..lol !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

hasnt anyone said that to you .. lol :) :) :) :)

Moz said:
jmac
well its aways a face front of course , lol ..lol !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

hasnt anyone said that to you .. lol :) :) :) :)

I'll try to be a little more helpful! The problem is profile trim will only match properly on 2 edges & with an external corner, you’re always going to be trying to butt 2 sharp corners with a rounded one - if you see what I mean! You could try butting one horizontal with the vertical on the tile face that’s most prominent, then butt the other horizontal behind it & file the top corner until it matches the rounded profile of the trim behind it; exactly as I said earlier, it looks totally naff!

Plastic profile trim is quick & easy to use & was great when it first appeared but with the options now available, will always make your tilling look like a Sunday DIY job that was put up 20 years ago! Also, when you consider the stupid prices charged for this stuff, ceramic edging is not that much more expensive & looks so much better.

Tile trim not only finishes the edges, it also provides a protective edge. If you have a mitred edge, if you knock it, it'll chip.
Personally, I'd always trim the edges.
The other thing is, don't buy trim from B&Q - they're cheap for some stuff, but tile trim they ain't. Aim to pay no more than £2.50 per 8 foot length.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back