Tiling over underfloor heating

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Has anyone experience of putting down tile adhesive straight on top of electric underfloor heating? The UFH manufacturer says I can bury the cable in adhesive then tile as normal, but I'm not sure how this would work. Is the cable buried in a solid bed of adhesive, then add more adhesive and use a notched trowel on the top part only? I would have thought this might cause the tile to touch the cable in places, which doesn't sound good to me. Can anyone help or suggest a better approach?

Sponsored Links
Skim of adhesive first (rapid set flexible) then a notched bed over the top to fix the tiles,in the warm up ufh you get a tape for fixing the ribbon wire to the floor so none of the cable should protrude through the first skim of adhesive,if it did however I can't see that it would cause a problem.

Thanks - do you mean that the skim should set before the notched layer is put on?

Yes,if you use rapid set adhesive should only take 2-3 hours or a long lunch break in the pub with a few pints and a ploughman's ;)

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back