Tiling Wall preparation

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there, I know there are a lot of other posts re-tiling but I can't see one answering my question...

I have removed the old tiles from my bathroom (took all the finishing plaster with them). I am now left with the sort of 'sub' plaster - the mortar coloured plaster layer. Thing is, this is very dry (guess it is probably original 1930s) and is crumbly in places. How will I best prepare this for tiling? - would it be to patch dig out and patch up the crumbly areas, then prime , then stick the tiles on?, would it be to remove all the 'mortar' and have it all redone (if so would it need finishing plaster on too?) or to remove all the 'mortar' and fit (screw / glue?) aquaboard direct to the brickwork?.

Don't know if it makes a difference but I am fitting a cimbintation of 45x45 Travertine tiles 10mm thick and 30x30 2cm travertine mosaic approx 10mm thick. The areas in question to be tiled are above the bath and the handbasin.

Thanks,

Rob

Sponsored Links
the walls would have to be replasterd or plaser boarded out.
i would in no way tile on to mortar/bonding.
the tiles would definatly come off :(

Three years ago I removed the 1930's tiling from my bathroom. Where the cement and sand 1:3 ( thats what they used in the 1930's to bed wall tiles ) was crumbly, in three areas, I hacked it off the walls and patch platered and then retiled the whole room ( 300x200x6mm tiles) and they are still there.
It all depends on the condition of the cement and sand bedding

Cheers

aaargh said:
Hi there, I know there are a lot of other posts re-tiling but I can't see one answering my question...

I have removed the old tiles from my bathroom (took all the finishing plaster with them). I am now left with the sort of 'sub' plaster - the mortar coloured plaster layer. Thing is, this is very dry (guess it is probably original 1930s) and is crumbly in places. How will I best prepare this for tiling? - would it be to patch dig out and patch up the crumbly areas, then prime , then stick the tiles on?, would it be to remove all the 'mortar' and have it all redone (if so would it need finishing plaster on too?) or to remove all the 'mortar' and fit (screw / glue?) aquaboard direct to the brickwork?.

Don't know if it makes a difference but I am fitting a cimbintation of 45x45 Travertine tiles 10mm thick and 30x30 2cm travertine mosaic approx 10mm thick. The areas in question to be tiled are above the bath and the handbasin.

Thanks,

Rob
I'm confused Rob. You asked for advice, you were given correct advice by jdp-tiling and yet you post the same question on the Screwfix forum after you've been given the answer. :confused: Don't you believe him?
To clarify, you need to remove the loose plaster, PVA, patch up with bonding then skim over with finish plaster. Or you can board out if you'd prefer. Then tank (round bath/shower areas only) and tile.

Sponsored Links
Hi GCol,

I never said I didn't believe him, after I posted here, I went off to google to see if I could find the answer elsewhere on the net while I was waiting for replies. I found the screwfixforum and found there were similar questions there but the questions there seemingly had different answers to eachother, so I posted the same question there as here (well very similar ). I have only just come back to this one to see that people have replied.

Cheers,

Rob

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back