Timber cladding - time for renewal

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am now in a position to renew my wooden cladding on my half brick and half cladding house.

The current walls consist of inner plaster board, 4 x 2 studs filled with rock wool then a membrane on the outer surface, then the cladding.

I've seen some house's of this type have 13/19mm ply on the outer surface, then the cladding, helping insulation. ??

Would the membrane stay in the same place or move to the outer surface of the ply, then the cladding.

Also what would be the best membrane to use and where.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
If your house is one of the cross wall construction types of the mid 60's to 70's then they were often covered with half inch ply sheathing and then felt and battened and tile hung or timber clad. The ply also added stability to the studwork. The U value of about 0.9 was quite good for the time, but you would have a chance to improve it when recladding.

Thanks

Sorry forgot to mention, this is 1985 built house.

The lower part of the house has brick outer wall and upper above 1st floor is cladding up to the roof eaves.

If you are going to fit ply sheathing then put the breather membrane on the outside of it. Vertical battens are then usually fixed to nail the shiplap to, but you have to consider that this brings the face of the timber further out.
How much of you upper floor is timber frame? Also is the weight of the roof taken by the cross walls?

Sponsored Links
thanks

I saw this idea of ply on one of 'Tommy Walsh's challenges' in Chepstow, where the house was of the same construction as mine, except they had this ply sheathing.

My house is a timber framed with the lower outer wall being brick only on the outside. The roof and cladding is carried by the timber framing. The brick appears not to carry any of the loads apart from the window frames on the lower floor.

The amount of forward movement of the cladding due to the sheathing is a minor problem as far as the windows in the upper floors (Bedrooms/Bathroom)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back