Timber double glazing- future units

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I have a period house and many of the windows are in bad nick. Some of the casements are rotten, some warped so don't close properly and some parts of the leaded windows are damaged (cracked stained glass and blown lead)

Insulation with these windows is non existent

I do want to retain the look so don't want everything ripped out and replaced with upvc.

This company has said they will do two things

1) On some windows, rout the existing casements and fit double glazing into them

2) On others (where casements are rotten) they will provide future units. This involves new casements being made (from timber) to match existing. Then they take the original stained glass stick it to a sheet of glass, relead it and then apply another two sheets of glass to form a double glazed unit.

Like this you have something that looks like the original leaded timber window but the added benefit of a modern unit in terms of security and insulation.

http://www.stainedglasslondon.com/page/future_units

I'd be interested to know if anybody has any thoughts on this?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
One thing to be aware of is that double glazed units are much deeper (thicker) than a single pane of glass. This makes it difficult or even impossible to install them in some types of window. This is especially the case with sliding sashes where the additional weight of DG units in the sashes can cause extra problems (the counterbalance weights can become too big to fit into the box sections). You may have to consider going for the ultra-thin argon-filled units sold for conservation, especially if your house is subject to conservation area status or other planning controls

Thanks for your reply. The guy has checked them and says there is enough depth for the original casements to accept the dg unit.

Also none are sah but I did worry about the ectra weight and whether the original frames would be able to support it even with uprated hinges. I have been assured by the company that its not a problem.

Thanks

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back