Timber or UPVC external door

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've just moved house, and one of the jobs we want to get sorted quickly is a new front door. There's a porch with an outer and inner door, both of which are a bit more flimsy than we'd like. It's a Victorian house, and we'd like to replace the inner door with something secure and solid. I'm looking at timber external doors because I much prefer the look of them, but I'd be grateful for any thoughts on the security aspects of both types - bearing in mind that I don't think we're at much risk from people forcibly battering the door down, is there much advantage to a upvc with 5-point lock over a timber door with a good Yale and mortis lock? I'm not taking into account noise reduction/insulation at this point.

Sponsored Links
I'm no expert and I'm sure you will receive replies from those who are, but these are my observations.

We had a UPVC front outer door fitted in our last house, but kept the existing wooden inside door. This wooden door was fitted with a 5 lever mortise lock, had solid panels at the bottom and was half glazed with a 12mm sealed unit which had coloured, leaded glass. Theoretically, someone could have gained entry by removing or breaking the glass; however, it seemed to me that if the UPVC door was breached it would take a pretty determined thief to get to work on the glass of the inner door as well, and that this combination would deter an opportunist. So we retained a combination of wood and UPVC.

Another advantage of UPVC doors is that changing locks is very easy indeed. Stating the obvious I know, but make sure that if you get one, its fitted with the best lock you can afford.

When we bought this house we inherited another UPVC door, and the only concession I've made to further security is to remove the basic Euro lock and fit a so called "anti bump" version. I feel that short of a sustained assault by someone who is unconcerned about being apprehended in the act, this door is as secure as any wooden door I've had in the past.

Personally I would say a good composite door with laminated glass and "Secured by Design (SBD)" locking is the most secure option.
SBD is police recommended security.

You can have some great looking doors, Have a play with this:
http://www.solidor.co.uk/design-a-door

To be honest I don't know much about modern timber doors security wise but I know most of the older ones that I remove every day could easily be broken into.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back