Timber v UPVC Evolution windows

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have been given two quotes for a rear bay window/french doors. First quote for timber is approx £6100 & second quote is for UPVC using a company called Evolution who uses traditional joins & a wood effect foil etc, so it looks very much like wood (6ft away would some only realise it wasnt). They have given me a deal from £6k down to 5k incl discount from rep.

What would you guys go for, I know UPVC is less maintenance, but is an extra grand a bit ott for the timber option. I will be extending the kitchen in the future and have to consider this too, as it will have to be the same as whats going in now. Wood is more cash but traditional. I live in a 1930s 3 bed semi with standard bays (no sahes etc). It is currenty wood but rotted terribly.

Your opinions please!

Sponsored Links
I live in a 1930's semi with wooden windows and I hate the maintenance on them. It is really time-consuming but needs to be done unfortunately.

Nearly all my neighbors have UPVC and I would be happy to change mine if I could afford it.

Its normally a good idea to have a look at what the rest of the street has. If most of them are UPVC I would be tempted to go with that.

Cheers mate, yes I see your point. The majority in my road(s) have UPVC now, with the exception of a few that are still wood (two are in very bad condition). My rear bay has georgian bars & painting these would indeed be very time consuming. The company I'm intending to use comes close to the quotes for wood, due to them manufacturing windows that are based on wood joinery. Guess you pay the extra for that!

Sponsored Links
It all depends on what you prefer.

If you want it be hassle free then choose the plastic.

If you don't mind once a year or two repainting and jazzing up the timber option then this is for you.

I must warn you though, if you choose the timber option make damn well sure that the 'joiners' use a hardwood for the sill.

I dont care how many times they keep trying to tell me that the new paint (and way they apply it) they use is as a better option of having a product made out of a hardwood and that the softwood they do use will outlast a hardwood. b**locks.

IMO timber is the better option but that is because i am a carpenter :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back