UPVC or timber?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a 1930's house which has bay windows. Im considering new windows... question is wood grain UPVC ot timber? The company quoting for the timber windows are about the same price as the UPVC. Not cheap!

I realise that UPVC wont need painting every 5-7 years but aside from that I'd like to know everyones views?

Sponsored Links
Nicely made timber all day long and this from a pvc service engineer :D

Too much trouble with woodgrain pvc, has to be well reinforced as it'll bow like a banana in this weather and will fade in time

Cheers mate, isnt woodgrain made of the same material as normal UPVC windows though? They dont usually bow/discolour do they? The sister company timberwindows.com charge about 4k more than the woodgrain UPVC, but ive found a good large company whos been around since the 60's who can do them for alot less.

Yes its the same pvc but with it being darker it absorbs more heat than white hence woodgrain always always always has to be reinforced and i mean fully, every section of the window should have box section steel inside it, some companies just put it in the verticals (mullions) to save on money, some never even reinforce the sashes, then you get warm weather like this and it'll bend, bow and warp. As for discolouring then yes it shouldn't but some foils will, especially south facing.

Sponsored Links
I see, Im actually lookin at the white grain UPVC which is now available. Its alot more than other companies that make wood grain upvc so I imagine they are reinforced.

I like the idea of maintenance free pretty much, but if I can get timber for same cost maybe opt for timber?

Also have leaded fanlights at top on front windows and georgian style at rear. For some reason they built the house like this. Is it best to keep it original or should rear georgian be clear or led to match the fronts?

Its nice to keep the front as original as poss with leaded fanlights but id just make the rear plain, no one see's it and it'll save you a few bob too

True. Do you think it would be odd to have it redone in Georgian then? Guy from Everest reckons it should be made to the original spec with the bars! Then again my bro reckons it would look better in clear because it outlooks over the garden.

Suspect guy from everest wants to bump the contract price up to get more commission, cutting georgian bars for the DGU's is labour intensive and will probably double the price of each unit.

Has anyone seen the new Irish Oak? I'm considering this, the sample looked quite nice. :)

Yes, my local supplier who use Eurocell have it on display, looks mighty and from a distance you would be hard pushed to tell its pvc. They also have white ash which i guess chillout is talking about, its white but has a grain effect to it, nice also :D

Irish oak.... any pics at all?

Anyone elses views on timber or PVC & if leaded at front should rear be georgian still to keep original?

I'll pop into their trade counter and take a pic for you chillout, i'll stick it up on photobucket, maybe if your cleverer than me you can post the pic up on here for me ;)

how old is your house?

putting plastic windows, and worse still doors, into an old house will devalue it because they look so horrible.

the quality of timber windows varies dramatically, lots of design flaws that cause them to rot.
timberwindows.com are on to most of these problems it hink.

you should be looking for drained and ventilated glazing units, falls to all horizontal surfaces, including inside the windows. factory applied paint/stain including under the hinges, locks etc; timber should be durable or at least pressure treated. a lot of the hardwood commonly used is not particularly durable i think it;s sapele or some mahogany substitute. better with western red cedar, larch, oak, pitch pine.

anything else is false economy as they will only last 5-10 years probably.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back