Time to see the light ? ( wifi passwords at risk )

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom

Smart lightbulb and app vulnerability puts your Wi-Fi password at risk

Posted: August 25, 2023 by Christopher Boyd

New research highlights another potential danger from IoT devices, with a popular make of smart light bulbs placing your Wi-Fi network password at risk. Researchers from the University of London and Universita di Catania produced a paper explaining the dangers of common IoT products. In this case, how smart bulbs can be compromised to gain access to your home or office network.

Sponsored Links
Does it matter? I will not do internet banking, there is nothing worth taking from my computers.

I do use smart devices a lot, many do not like working with the computer, they need a tablet or phone.

Yes people can mess around, grand children have been know to say hey Google set alarm for 2 am, but passwords are a pain, I forget what they are.

It's not that hard to setup a 2nd wifi system for use only by the IOT things, thus keeping your computers safe.

Sponsored Links
Where’s the danger?
It seems that someone who already has access to your network might be able to impersonate a lightbulb and gain access to your WiFi password. But if they are already on your network they either already have your password or they didn't need it.

This is all down to many gadgets or unbranded smart gadgets that often come from China. They will have rarely updated or old firmware which means they could have holes and be exploited.
I recommend that if you have any gadgets that might not be 100% up to date or able to get the latest security updates to put them on their own isolated wifi network. This can be done with certain routers and will mean they cant access your private networks.

This is all down to many gadgets or unbranded smart gadgets that often come from China. They will have rarely updated or old firmware which means they could have holes and be exploited.
I recommend that if you have any gadgets that might not be 100% up to date or able to get the latest security updates to put them on their own isolated wifi network. This can be done with certain routers and will mean they cant access your private networks.
I've often seen that recommended and I have no problem with it, but it is not obvious to me how someone can exploit an insecure device on my network without already being connected to my network.

Some use Bluetooth to set them up, others make their own wifi hotspot. Maybe it’s one of those that gives them access

Brian

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back