Security Issue Question about Wifi LED Controllers

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Any wi-fi security experts out there?

I have some of those LED strip lights and want to change the 24 button IR remote (because my TV remote interferes with it) for a wi-fi one. The product at the links below is sold everywhere by many different vendors...

Amazon ASIN: B00GN2D556
http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias=aps&field-keywords=B00GN2D556

Instructions: http://www.ledmagical.com/Apps/image/WifiMagicColor/LED WiFi controller (ZJ-WIFI-310,320,370)-EN.pdf

I'm just a bit worried that I am giving a product from China I know nothing about access to my home wifi network. I'm not so paranoid as to think this thing is secretly bugging me and phoning home back to the Chinese PLA headquarters, but I am worried if connecting this thing up might actually compromise the security of my simple home setup. This thing broadcasts it own SSID and the default newtork names and default password are all over the internet, so what is the implication of giving it my wifi password....?

Any advice
Cheers
Mark

My simple home setup is nothing complex - it involves a Belkin N+ wireless router on my Plusnet ADSL broadband connection. From there I have a handful of ethernet hard-wired devices; couple of smart TVs and an old desktop pc. Wifi is set up with WPA2 and I have any number of wireless devices, 2 x iphones, tablet, laptop, kindle, wireless printer... hanging off it

Sponsored Links
You need to look at your router options.

1. It's very likely that you can isolate anything on that separate SSID from connecting to other clients on your main SSID.

2. You should also be able to limit that SSID to only connect to the unique MAC address of the lights.

3. You should also block that SSID from connecting to the internet.

If you can do all of those you will be pretty safe.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back