Pyronix Enforcer V10 - parts and design questions

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I will be replacing an old grade1 DIY wireless system in my 3bed semi with something more reliable, and importantly, something I can control with my phone remotely.

After much research, I think Pyronix Enforcer V10 with HomeControl+ seems to be the best grade2 wireless system for remote control - would you agree?

I have not yet decided if I'll self-install or have someone do it. I assume that won't be too hard to self-install, as this is a wireless system and I'm good with manuals.

So, I am assembling a parts list and I have the following questions (so far):
  1. I am thinking that ADSL/WiFI is not very reliable - mr Burglar could just cut the virgin media optic cable outside the house in my porch and then get it. For this reason I think I'll go for DIGI-GPRS and get a sim card. Note: I don't have a home phone line at all, so pstn wouldn't work. Questions:
    1. Any suggestions on SIM?
    2. Will I still be able to use wifi as a backup? ( I suppose not)
    3. How much data would this setup use per month?
    4. Any way I can get the V10 panel with DIGI-GPRS instead of DIGI-WIFI which seems to be the default? Throwing away the wifi card seems like a waste.
  2. The current grade1 panel is fixed on the hallway just by the entrance door. I could fix the Pyronix system there I suppose, dimensions are similar. Wouldn't look great, but are there other disadvantages? Should I finding another place to fix it at? E.g. inside a kitchen/utility cupboard or under the stairs near the electricity panel? Does it matter if the panel is near, for example, the microwave oven?

If I locate the panel further into the house, I'll probably also have to get a remote keypad, an extra cost. I currently don't plan to use keyfobs or proximity tags, so the system will be operated using the phone mostly, or, if phone battery is dead, from the keypad.

3. What is your opinion on the Pyronix magnetic + shock sensors (MC1/SHOCK-WE)? I'm thinking of getting 4 of these to cover the front bay window, the dinning room patio doors and the kitchen door and window. The entrance door will be covered with a magnetic contact (MC1MINI-WE) - not sure if a shock sensor is needed there.

4. Most of the rooms (entrance hallway, lounge, kitchen, 1st floor landing) will also be covered by a PIR - currently considering whether to go for KX12DQ-WE or KX12DT-WE (these also do microwave). Any thoughts on whether microwave is worth an extra £15 per sensor?
Here is a floorplan of the first floor of the property with the location of the sensors and panel - all comments welcome!

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Manuals are not always that good in the alarm industry to be honest and some basic understanding can sometimes help you with the manuals interpretation.

1. Sim cards are interesting, those that roam maybe better so if the signal drops due to maintenance of a network at a tower it looks for the next strongest signal, some alarm panels are not good at the searching for the next best network.

data will depend on what you use your alarm for, the more you interact with the app the more you will use, in general basic app function doesn't se much, add cameras etc and then you can use a lot more if they are activated.

theres not much space in the enforcer not sure what you can squeeze in together, seen to recall its pretty much one or the other.

One of the best panels for handling ip connection via Ethernet and switching over to GPRS if the ethernet has failed is the agility 3 from my experience, had a few customers pay 20p a day (giffgaff pay as you go) for a few days whilst they have there internet installed and get them to plug into the router and the panel sorts it out, and you can still have voice calls and SMS messages, as well as the app.

2. better the main panel isn't on the entry route, better a remote keypad or arming station.

3. heard a few installers have a whinge on them recently, but we all whinge about equipment when it doesn't work, or the manufacturers provide it with bits missing, like what happened to me today.

4. DT's are good for environments were false alarms are more likely, as having two technologies help eliminate false alarms, often found in garages and conservatories but still have to avoid direct sunlight. Not convinced they are a necessaity on your installation but I haven't done a site survey.

Good point about the manuals! Right now I feel quite confident that I can handle the installation. I think I'll go ahead with self-install (with some support here I hope!) and if I can't manage I'll call someone to help me out.

1. on sim cards: It looks like the Enforcer box is small can can only take wifi or gprs, not both. If I go to another box, like euro 46S, will dual-path be possible? SO that it connects normally through wifi, but if that fails it switches over to GPRS? I understand that with Euro 46S I'll also need to purchase the wifi + gprs cards, and the extension board for the wireless sensors, so cost could be well higher than the enforcer in the end.

Good point about the roaming sims. Did some research on M2M sims and it's quite a big market. I'm trying to figure out how much data would it consume per month on GPRS, to get a handle on the sim data cost per month. 20p a day on giffgaff is like £75 per year, which is not bad, not ideal either. I don't plan to add cameras to this - especially if communications are over GPRS only! I'll probably add the cameras to synology and access them over wifi.

Will do some more research on costs: I'll start with the WIFI module and try to monitor data usage, then switch to GPRS after a couple of months. [ Would it need full reprogramming to switch the communicator? ]

2. That's what I was thinking, to take the panel away from main routes. Have there been cases where a burglar "destroyed" a panel that was on the entry route though? What's the risk, realistically? Also, do those panel need a separate fused spur or would it be ok to power it via a normal uk plug in a socket (when not on the main entry route)?

3. Thanks for tip on shock sensors - i think I'll just go ahead with them and if they are being weird I'll disconnect the shock part and use the magnetic only.

Moderator's note:

Where are you, George?

Please do not delete this note without answering it, like last time.

I'm in London.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Fit a seperate WIRED Keypad in the Hall, and keep the main panel elsewhere. The keypads look nicer too & come in different finishes including flush mount.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back