Texecom Smartcom disconnections require unplugging/plugging ethernet cable

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a Texecom Premier Elite and SmartCom alarm system. I keep getting issues with access via the app failing, and the alarm installers haven't been super helpful, so I thought I'd see if I could get some clues here.

The SmartCom (CEL-0001, Hardware Revision 26 if that helps) is connected to my home network via an ethernet cable and has a fixed IP address reserved. Occasionally, the app will stop working with a "can't connect to panel - check network" type message. When I look at the SmartCom, the cloud and wifi lights are blinking (no other lights on). My (Unifi) router still sees the IP address as connected, and it will respond to a ping, though it shows no traffic to or from the device. Generally this can be rectified though, by unplugging the ethernet cable from my switch for a few seconds, and plugging it back in. First the cloud light goes steady, and then the Wifi one. The app connects again OK, and the router reports constant traffic to/from the device again.

My main question is to see if anyone has any idea why this keeps happening (weeks between occurrences, but still a right pain when it does as it can't be fixed remotely), and how might I make it more reliable? A side question, is why does the device seem to be indicating connectivity via the Wi-Fi LED, when there appears to be a LAN light which is permanently off? I asked the alarm guy this and he said firmware updates would have changed the use of the LEDs, which seems unlikely when the markings indicate such specific meanings.

The unit was originally connected to my WiFi, but I asked the installers to use a LAN connection instead. It originally had an issue which seemed to relate to it having wifi and LAN connections which were resolved by me blocking the WIFI IP in the router. Since then, I believe the unit has been reset so it no longer even knows the wifi connection details - I mention it in case it could be relevant though.

Sponsored Links
The question for me is:-

Panel version
App version
Smart com version.

You have hard wired smart com to the router from what you have said?

Thanks. I’m not sure how to get those version numbers - are they available from the keypad? I know the alarm company updated the Texecom (at least) firmware recently.

Yes, the SmartCom is connected to my network via an Ethernet cable - it is this that I unplugged & plugged in to get it communicating again.

Sponsored Links
Doh! should have thought of that!

App Version : 2.0.24
Panel Type: Elite 24
Firmware Version : 6.02.00
Smartcom Version : 04.02.05

Looks upto date

will need digging into, if the smart com has been reset there is nothing I can think of top of my head.

Need to look at what your router is doing.

Texecom maybe to look into the smart coms logs to see what’s been going on

Thank you. It feels like the low level network connectivity must be OK, as it is still responding to pings in this state. Would be nice to talk directly to Texecom, but I guess this needs to go via my alarm company...

That’s your call but if your alarm company is struggling then you have few options left.

I can’t see the log only your alarm company if they have paid access I believe / Texecom will have access.

Thank very much for your help. Just one general question - is it normal on an Ethernet connected SmartCom to have the Wi-Fi LED lit, and the LAN one unlit? This seems the wrong way around - I have mentioned it to my installer who didn't seem concerned, but I wondered if it was indicative of something...

Attachments

• 603B7FF4-B0D8-4FD4-A8E2-2B86A8182E19.png
    603B7FF4-B0D8-4FD4-A8E2-2B86A8182E19.png
    737.8 KB · Views: 61
Guess I'll need to get the Alarm company involved, as it's just happened again, and the ethernet cable trick isn't working this time!

Thanks for that LED info - very useful. So it looks like the initial 3 LEDs (cloud, Wi-Fi, LAN) remain unchanged in use - that fits with below...

I've been in touch with the Alarm engineer. I rebooted it by opening up and unplugging/replugging the cable from the main unit and he could then login. He found it was still apparently using an original Wifi connection (the alarm company set this up by default but I asked them to configure it for LAN instead). Both a visiting engineer and I under instruction had done the 5x press of the Wifi button multiples time to clear it, but it feels like that is not working - it doesn't give any tactile feedback when pressed (even hard).

I'm super confused by this, as not only can I see no sign of the alarm being connected wirelessly, I've even blocked (what I was sure was) the SmartCom Wifi MAC address in my router! Plus, the connectivity failures always seem to relate to traffic ceasing on the wired connection. I've asked the alarm engineer if he can let me know the Wifi and Ethernet MAC addresses from the logs for me to compare with what I thought was the case!

Anyway, he did some reconfiguration and set it to prioritise LAN connection. Did another reset, and the LAN light burst into life for the first time that I have seen, so this gave credence to what he was suggesting. This lasted for a few hours before it seemed to lose connection again yesterday evening. I did the unplug/replug again and it lasted about 3 hours before doing it again. Did same thing this morning and this time it lasted around one hour - seems to be getting less reliable with each reboot!

He was going to send logs to Texecom so hoping he had enough connectivity to be able to get the logs and send them. Would love to get to the bottom of this. The app connectivity is the main reason we upgraded our old system to this, and it's not feeling like money well spent at the moment! I've been googling for any SmartCom/Unifi known issues but can't see anything....

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back