Timeswitch / Programmer, 24hr, 7 day, 5+2....

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
So... I'm getting lost in some of the terminology... I think I know what things are but want to check.

Firstly what is the difference between a Timeswitch and a Programmer? I know a programmer lets you set the water / CH to come on and off at different times of the day, but in that case what does a timeswitch do??

With regards to programmers is the following true;
- A "24hr Programmer" will let you set n number of On / Off periods through a 24 hour period. That 24hr period is then repeated every day.
- A "5+2 programmer" will let you set Mon-Fri with one set of timings, and Sat-Sun with another set of timings.
- A "7 day programmer" will let you set each of the 7 days to have their own unique on / off periods.

Then there are room thermostats. I am happy with the difference between wired and wireless ( :) ), but then I see that there are programmable thermostats... Is this so that you can have different temperature settings through the day / night, or does it entirely replace the 'HEATING' channel of the programmer / timeswitch?

What I have at the moment is a programmer (?) that I don't particularly like;
It lets me set 3 On/Off periods within a 24hr period, and has the usual settings of "OFF", "ON", "AllDay" (from first ON to last OFF), and "Auto" (switch according to periods), as well as the additional 'buttons' of "+1 Hr" and "Advance".
However there is then just a single rocker switch on the front that lets these settings apply to just Hot water, or hot water and central heating.

If we want to have the heating on late in the evening, or through the night, we also have to 'pay' to heat (and keep hot) the full tank of hot water, despite the fact that it won't be used again until the morning.

What I would like is to be able to control the Heating & Hot water seperately from one another, and have the weekends independant of the weekdays, (I'm not too bothered about full 7day independant control, but if the cost difference is negligable then it's no bad thing).

With regards to the plumbing everything is already in place for a fully controlled system as the heating and hotwater each have their own electronic flow valve, so I believe it is just the "controller" that I would need to replace, (and possibly our room thermostat as that is old and grotty looking!).

So what are my best choices here? I think I need a 5+2 dual channel programmer, and then a room stat. Tempted by a wireless room stat as the current one is permanently fixed to the hall wall just outside the kitchen, which means that whenever someone is cooking the rest of the house goes cool because the thermostat detects the heat of the kitchen - lol.

Any recommendations? Obviously as cheap as chips would be nice, but I also don't want something that will break in just a month or so, and I'd be willing to pay a little bit more for 'nice' features, such as a backlit programmer display etc.

Thanks all :)

Sponsored Links
So much writing, but so little info on your present programmer.
If you have an S plan system as you imply, then once the cyl stat is satisfied you won't be paying to heat the tank as it will have shut down the HW motorised valve.

So much writing, but so little info on your present programmer.
If you have an S plan system as you imply, then once the cyl stat is satisfied you won't be paying to heat the tank as it will have shut down the HW motorised valve.

Cheers Pete, yeah, the cylinder stat does get satisfied, and does close the HW motorised valve, but then as the cylinder cools it will open up again.
Similarly if we go away we tend to leave the CH stat set to a low temperature, but there is no need for the HW to be getting heated as well. With the current programemr there is no way to specify this.

Yes, having looked it up, the system is S plan.

Sponsored Links
Give us the details of your present programmer to get advice on a suitable replacement. I really depends on the present backplate of the programmer.
If yours is the industry standard, then usually it requires no rewiring.
Once hot, modern cylinders should stay hot overnight.

Ok cheers, will try and find out the make / model of it tonight.
Wouldn't say our cylinder would stay hot overnight, but then again it probably isn't too modern either.
I don't know how old it is, but it was there when we moved in 4+ years ago:

To have a modern programmer it will mean a rewire, as the Danfoss backplates are unique. Any battery operated 2 wire room stat will replace your old stat, eg Honeywell dt90e.
The choice of gear is endless, but Honeywell are good and offer what you want. ACL programmers are 7 and 5/2 day selectable and are also OK.
Others will recommend their favourites.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back