Tips for buying double glazing/ patio doors

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all

I have a salesman coming to visit and quote on saturday.

I want to replace the doors in our kitchen that lead to the garden.

We currently have an aluminium sliding door in an aluminium frame. Every winter the frame gets really cold and causes lots of condensation so we want rid.

It is not a very big opening - the current unit is a sliding door which slides in front of another immobile 'door' (giant window in practice).

We have wooden windows so are interested in wooden as well as 'wood effect' UPVC as a frame material.

We want to change the windows at some point in the future but the doors are the priority but the material and look of the doors will influence our later choice on the windows.

We are interested in French or bifolding doors as we really want to make the opening bigger in summer. Which style is usually cheaper?

What sort of premium is there for wood over 'wood effect' UPVC over plain white UPVC.

What sort of features should we look out for on a quality product?

What should we look for to be included in the quote? I'm thinking about things like the door jam, the sill outside, removing all watse including the old unit, etc.

Is there a rating system for lock security?

Is there a rating system for the double-glazed units? How long should the warranty be for things like condensation within the unit, or doors droping on their hinges.

Bifold doors seem inherently more complicated and likely to fail compared to french doors, is this the case in reality?

Thanks for your help and any advice you can give.

Sponsored Links
General lay a coloured foil on uPVC will be + 25%
Most companies will remove all the waste and the new door will come with frame and cill.
French will be cheaper than bi fold by halfish I would say.
Most multipoint locks are like for like.
Warranty 10 years on plastic and 5 years maybe 10 on hardware

Our supplier is now 10 years on glass, i believe

Sponsored Links
they differ i think, just worth checking the small print with each, if they go bump the next day its useless anyway

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back