Fit double-glazed units to existing balcony door and frame

10 Jun 2013
Reaction score
United Kingdom
Hi there

Can someone get me started, I've done a lot of googling and am swamped with inapplicable information.

I want to :
-replace the single-glazed glass in a single (wooden) balcony door with a sealed double-glazed unit.
-replace the skylight glass in the frame above the door with a double-glazed unit. The skylight is arched at the top.
-I also want to buy and fit a trickle-vent to the door

Sealed units should meet current BS requirements
I want to keep the existing frame and, preferably, door.

The main challenges seem to be:

- where to get supply-only sealed units, particularly one with an arch (I'm in London)
- the fact that the door is only-just thick enough to accommodate a sealed unit - what's a robust way of fitting the unit in the door with only a few millimetres to spare each side? Nails and putty ?!
- can you get off-the-shelf wooden trickle-valves? (I've only found PVC ones)

Any pointers on techniques, materials, sourcing suppliers, etc welcome.

I will do the installation work myself. Actually, it doesn't matter if it's a bit heath-robinson. The objective is to eliminate the condensation on the (single glazed) door glass that arrived when I got proper double glazing in all the surrounding windows.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local