To fill or not to fill - opinions appreciated!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
HI all,

I've just moved into a victorian terraced house where I wish to retain the original original sash windows. A couple of windows had quite a bit of wet rot on the surface of the sill which I need to address. ON one of these, I've stripped back the paint and scraped out the majority of the soft wood with a scraper. The underlying surface now feels solid. This has left quite a 'pitted' sill (See the images in my gallery) with pits 6mm or so deep, that I imagine is going to prove time consuming and difficult to fill and to get a decent looking finish. I'd appreciate peoples opinions on whether I should attempt to fill and sand the sill - from a finish and durability perspective - or should whether I look to get the sill replaced by a professional. My general philosophy with these types of things is to do as little as possible, as bigger changes open the door to more things going wrong. However, maybe in this case the wistest option would be to go down the replacement route...

Many thanks in advance!

Sponsored Links
Firstly if you've removed all the punky timber (with a steel brush - this can be quite brutal) treat all the affected areas with a wood hardener (look for Bonda wood hardener). That will put a stop to the decay spreading and stabilise the timber. Smaller holes can be filled with a 2-pack filler (even flexible car body filler will do the trick - there are professional materials sold for the task, but they normally aren't available in small quantities). If you want to replace the sill then go ahead, but that will cost a lot more.

Sponsored Links
Many thanks jobandknock and foxhole for your replies. I've bought some Ronseal hardener and 2-part filler, and will have a go at filling the sill this weekend.

Kind regards.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back