Window sill for Victorian house

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm trying to find a new window sill for a Victorian house which has very simple, almost flat rectangular sills. After much searching, the closest thing I've found is a once-weathered coping stone (with drip-check). Are there any pitfalls I should think about before going ahead and using these as window sills?

Thanks inn advance for any advice.

Sponsored Links
Come on - pics of the other sills in the house, and a pic of the possible replacement cill, and where and how you intend to place it?

There are companies that manufacture custom composite stone sills, and traditional patterns and sizes off the shelf - maybe google them?

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the replies.
Here's a picture of one of my existing window sills with approximate measurements:

The new sill is to go on a similar window that was converted years ago by a previous owner to a rotting double-glazed unit, which I'm planning to replace with a timber sash.

Here's the sort of coping stone I'm thinking about using for the new sill.
Its height is 60mm at the front, 80mm at the back and either 300 or 350mm deep. (Length is 1000mm which is more-or-less perfect for the new window.)

I've also found similar, but flat 60mm stone online.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back