Question regarding single glazed windows & window sills

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi im new to this forum and thought id sign up to get some feedback on some work i have recently had done on my flat.

I live in a 1 bed council flat at the moment and have had the council inspector out for a number of reasons regarding condensation,mould growth and to question the quality and stability/effectiveness of my windows.

When the inspector came out i showed him that i have 2 interior windows sills for bedroom and living room.
Both these window sills have excessive movement. If i gently lift the windows sills from underneath they will physicallly lift away from the underneath plaster/brickwork ledge.

there is also movement to the bedroom window frame. the window frame will push forwards perhaps a few mm when pushed from the inside.

The council inspector agreed that this was a problem and sure enough a guy turned up a few days later to do the repairs.

The repairs he carried out to the bedroom window sill are as follows. he did not take the window sill out and re-attach it to the brickwork/plaster.
All he did was fit a plastic window sill cover over the top of the current window sill and silicone around it and again around the window frame.

After he had gone i inspected this and found that sure enough the window sill inside the bedroom still moves up and down as before, only now it had a plastic cover on it.

the work he did to the living room window sill was simply to silicone around the sill and frame.

Needless to say i had the inspector back out who agreed that this was unsatisfactory work and he agreed it needed doing properly.

Just today the same workman has come back out and told me he was unable to remove the plastic window sill cover from the bedroom window sill but he would drill 2 holes downwards into the sill to reattach it to the brickwork/plaster. he also said he would do the same with the living room window sill.
I agreed that this would be fine as it would stop to the window sills from moving. - or so i thought.

After he had gone i again inspected the work and although he has drilled 2 holes either side of the 2 window sill and screwed them down , there is still the same movement in each sill as before, the screws have not even helped reduce the movement.

Can someone please explain to me if it is normal for your interior window sills to move in this way . the bedroom window sill in particular comes away from the ledge under neath and is not secure.

the worker told me on several occasions that this is normal as the window sills just "sit" in place.

thank you in advance

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back