United Kingdom
Hi Guys

I am struggling to find a toilet extractor fan that meets the following:

- Good quality
-100mm wide (easy)
- low voltage 12V
- kicks off when light switch is turned on
- has an override timer
- has humidity sensor so it can also kick off on its own when room humidity is greater than X%

any ideas?

So far can find light switched ones, but the humidistat ones dont work with the switches, they just work by monitoring humidity levels..

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
I am struggling to find a toilet extractor fan that meets the following:

- Good quality
-100mm wide (easy)
- low voltage 12V
- kicks off when light switch is turned on
- has an override timer
- has humidity sensor so it can also kick off on its own when room humidity is greater than X%
Someone else may recommend a good quality one.
Plenty of 100mm. (thats the size of the hole) - standard size.
Why 12V?
If you wire it to come on with the light, it will 'kick off when light switch is turned on'.
Lots have timers.
Lots have humidity sensor (although it's not a very satisfactory arrangement, Britain is humid).

So far an find light switched ones,
:?:

but the humidistat ones dont work with the switches, they just work by monitoring humidity levels..
I don't think that is correct.
Most humidity controls just trigger the timer circuit.

yep humidity control switches on the fan when humidity goes above a certain level, and then runs for as long as what the timer is set to.

What I am missing is being able to switch on as soon as light switch goes on (on top of the above scenario). So what happens is light switch goes on, tenant starts having a shower and eventually fan kicks in. Doesnt work when say tenant is using toilet so bad smells cannot be diffused..

I would think, then, that the fan is not wired correctly.

You need a permanent live.
A switched live which operates when the light is turned on.
A neutral, of course.

Then the fan will run whenever the light is on, plus the timed period, or
any time the humidity is above the set value.

Sponsored Links
Hi!

fan has only 2 terminals, 12V and 0V, that need to be always live. There is no 3rd pin to take input from light switch, at least on this model (xpelair lv100hts), hence asking if anybody knows a humidistat one with 3 terminals so can hook up a light switch

The current fan is both a humidistat and timer fan if it is an Xpelair LV100HTS (Xpelairs part numbers are fantastically simple. Thumbs up for that)

If it's 12v the input for the switched supply won't be in the fan it will be in the remote power pack - likely outside the bathroom/shower room

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back