Toilet overflow problem..

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I have a push button type toilet which, when flushed, the cistern is over filling and exiting the overflow pipe into the bowl. After flushing this seems to last for several hours and then it just stops filling as usual.

I've had a look inside the cistern and have tried pulling the ballcock all the way up while the cistern is part filled, but it just keeps filling up.

I've noticed that where the water comes in it looks like a small tube inside what I can only descride as a see-through piece of plastic that vaguely resembles one of those packets of sauce-type-bags that you get in a cafe! Anyway - I've noticed that a small amount of water seems to be coming out of the rear or this, as well as the opening at the end. Is that likely to be the problem?

An easy fix would be much appreciated!

Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
The diaphragm inside the float valve has failed, look for a name on the valve, or take a picture and post here.

Al

Good advice about the Fluidmaster! A simple device that acts like a sink plug. You push a button on the front or side of the cistern and an attached chain lifts a tapered plug to release the water. Easy to fit and at £25.99 from B&Q a bargain and maintenance free. Go get one!

Sponsored Links
actually meant a fill valve :oops: but why not do both and have no more trouble ;)

Right, I've been ignoring the problem so if there's a drought this summer you know who to blame.

I'm a bit confused as to what I should be buying? Does a fluidmaster fit any toilet?

I don't know the difference between a float valve and a fill valve - would installing a fluidmaster address both?!? Going on holiday next week and the wife is bugging me to fix the bloody thing before we go...

My Dad hasn't looked at it but thinks its the flush valve.. Too many valves going on here!

Float valve, fill valve, ballcock, ballvalve - same thing.
Is your valve attached to the side or bottom of the cistern?

Polythene tube outlet sounds like either a Torbeck or Macdee Aquasave.
As advised, replace with a Fluidmaster.

Float valve, fill valve, ballcock, ballvalve - same thing.
Is your valve attached to the side or bottom of the cistern?

Polythene tube outlet sounds like either a Torbeck or Macdee Aquasave.
As advised, replace with a Fluidmaster.

The valve is attached to the bottom of the cistern.

fluidmaster_float_valve.jpg

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back