Toilet refills every 10 minutes

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys,

I have recently noticed that every 10 minutes or so I can hear our cistern top itself up. I can see in the pan that there is a small trickle of water on one side. Would this be caused by a faulty seal or valve.

Toilet cistern is 2 years old with dual flush via buttons on top.

Any suggestions welcome......

Cheers.......

Sponsored Links
Assuming that the trickle you mention is inside the pan, have you checked the water level inside the cistern - it may be set too high and is overflowing into the pan.

if its not the overflow its the flush valve seal at the bottom.

This is true, but I would have expected this to have caused water partly flowing down the outside and down the back of the pan (over the fixing plate and missing the doughnut). We shall see what we shall see.

Sponsored Links
i don't mean the seal that you screw up when fitting into cistern.

i mean the seal that opens when you flush the loo.

i knew what i ment.
or_d06fe493-833b-4c1a-b7e4-85b371e7.gif

Assuming that the trickle you mention is inside the pan, have you checked the water level inside the cistern - it may be set too high and is overflowing into the pan.

If it were set too high and it was overflowing surely it wont keep topping up as the fill level would constantly be reached??
Trickle is inside the pan....no signs of leaks anywhere else
Assuming (and life has taught me not to assume too often) that it is the valve at the bottom how easier is it to repair/replace??

by the way....thanks for the replies <<and the mirth>>

Most cisterns have internal overflows now which flows over the syphon into the pan, which would give you the symptoms your getting.

Does your cistern have a overflow pipe to the outside?.

If it were set too high and it was overflowing surely it wont keep topping up as the fill level would constantly be reached??
Trickle is inside the pan....no signs of leaks anywhere else
Assuming (and life has taught me not to assume too often) that it is the valve at the bottom how easier is it to repair/replace??
If the cistern fills and the valve closes, there may be a short delay before the valve opens again due to there being sufficient upward thrust on the float to hold the inlet valve closed especially if it is sticking a bit.

Before we look at replacing the valve that seco refers to, have you actually checked the level of water in the cistern? Seems the first port of call.

I'll have a look at the level in the morning........fixing the loo may get me out of shopping trip in the morning.

Gilgamesh is the name of a Thai restaurant at Camden Town in London. The food is very good and with the 50% off offer its very good valve.

I have never eaten there there myself though.

On your cistern check the fill level as well as the position of the internal weir.

Tony

My money is on Seko.

If ever I need a new loo at home it will be another syphon design. But one with a split syphon so I can change diaphragm without removing cistern from pan.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back