Toilet water leaking into bowl after flushing

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
For a few weeks now after my toilet flushes, a trickle of water constantly leaks into the bowl. The input valve does shut off so I suspect it's an issue with the flapper seal.

My question is can I remove the flapper without turning the water supply off as all water would just go into the bowl? I can't get to any valves local to the toilet as it's boxed in being tiles. My main stop cock is very temperamental so want to avoid it if possible.

The toilet is the type with a push button flush on top if the bowl lid.

Thanks,
Graykev

Sponsored Links
You need to check your float setting, as this is letting water into the overflow, it could be that the float is jamming. This can be done without turning water off.
If not float setting then the seal is failing, could be worn or debris stopping from shutting.

You need to check your float setting, as this is letting water into the overflow, it could be that the float is jamming. This can be done without turning water off.

I have manually pressed it so that it fills up even more and the issue still happens. No water is going into the overflow pipe from the top. Could this still be the issue?

If nothing is entering the overflow, you need to look at the sealing of the flapper valve.
Would also check that water is not evacuating from the seals at the base of the cistern.

Sponsored Links
Does your valve look like this?

B604.jpg

If nothing is entering the overflow, you need to look at the sealing of the flapper valve.
Would also check that water is not evacuating from the seals at the base of the cistern.

So can I examine the flapper with the water running and let any water go down the hole and into the bowl?

Sorry graykev, can't help with your flapper. I have the one I pictured and it intermittently fails to seat properly thereby allowing water to dribble into the pan. It's an easy fix for me but I have no clue about your flapper.

I will let the experts on here assist.

Sorry graykev, can't help with your flapper. I have the one I pictured and it intermittently fails to seat properly thereby allowing water to dribble into the pan. It's an easy fix for me but I have no clue about your flapper.

I will let the experts on here assist.

No bother mate. Cheers anyway.

a Fluidmaster type is identical, and as the top part twists away from the base section, the new part reconnects by going in the opposite direction. (try it with the new one first, then all will become crystal - I promise.)

a Fluidmaster type is identical, and as the top part twists away from the base section, the new part reconnects by going in the opposite direction. (try it with the new one first, then all will become crystal - I promise.)

Yeah cheers I sorted it last night. I took the flapper unit out (by twisting as you mentioned) and when I removed the rubber seal it had an air/water bubble in it. I burst it and turned it over and it not leaking at all now :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back