Tongue tite screws used upright thru 20.5 t&g

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I was thinking of using them like you might use lost heads, vertically - 2 per joist. Brad drill a shallow 5mm hole to lose the head, and fill. They boards won't be covered

Would the smaller screw head be likely to be an improvement over a lost head re the boards creaking 10 years on.

The boards won't be covered, I'd like smaller screw heads so the filler holes are smaller/ less obtrusive.

Sponsored Links
It's partially the head that's holding the board down, so you don't want to go for smaller heads. If you use Spax screws, they'll go straight in without the pilot hole, but be careful, as they'll bite in very easily.

The screw threads will already have cut the timber up a little anyway so even less resistance to the (smaller) screw head. Good point.

Maybe I should just back to forgetting about screws, I mean, who ever underwent the upheaval of taking a whole floor back up to accommodate some localised works?

I have used lost heads previously, but even with acclimatising the t&g and using joist clamps, there is still a slight tendency for the boards to occasionally creak after a few years.

What if I use the usual 2 lost heads per joist but lean each nail in a pair outwards, away from the other? If the board shrinks then it can only drag itself downwards?

It might well work, but a lot of people advocate glueing the board before it goes down, then there's less chance of any issues later, so there's a bit of an argument for taking up the floor as well.

Sponsored Links
I might not have been very clear, it's a new 1st floor room in an extension that would have a varnished finish to new t&g boards, probably not even stained as blonde would be ok.

Do you mean polyeurethane chipboard glue? I don't fancy using an expanding glue on a job that I have to keep moving on. Maybe pva?

Glue probably wouldn't accomodate re-using any boards that ever came up anyway, so screwing could be dispensed with.

Sorry, thought you were referring to chipboard T&G, as you normally use nails in boards, and screws in chipboard.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back