Too many cables??

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a ceiling light fitting in a box bedroom.

There are 3 grey mains cables coming from the aperture, two of these have one red, one black and one earth, the third has two red, one of which has been resleeved with a bit of black and an earth.

Whay has this fitting got three seperate cables? Can I cap two and use just one of them?

Sponsored Links
This is covered in the ref section

Cable 1. Phase and neutral from supply
Cable 2. Phase and neutral to next rose
Cable 3. Switch wire

You did make a drawing of where all the wires went didn't you?

The twin red should be the switch wire (check with a continuity tester with the power off).

If it is then connect all three reds together (one from each cable)
Connect all blacks to one side of light
Connect last red to other side of light
Terminate all CPC's (Earths) together in terminal block.

OOI - if everything was working fine before, why did you think you might be able to disconnect two thirds of what was there and still have everything working fine?

ban-all-sheds said:
OOI - if everything was working fine before, why did you think you might be able to disconnect two thirds of what was there and still have everything working fine?

It wasn't working, its been that way since we moved in.

Thanks Qedelec

Sponsored Links
In defence of BAS, you didn't say that it was not working, and as most people post on this site asking for advice on how to change existing(working) fittings, his post was expected.

Please check that the double red is the switch wire before proceeding further. Failure to do so will cause a short across the supply.

Qedelec said:
In defence of BAS, you didn't say that it was not working, and as most people post on this site asking for advice on how to change existing(working) fittings, his post was expected.

Please check that the double red is the switch wire before proceeding further. Failure to do so will cause a short across the supply.

When I said it wasn't working, I meant it wasn't connected to a rose. It wasn't a functioning light

He ASSUMED it was and he ASSUMED it was working. He probably ASSUMED I hadn't noted where the wires went also.

Its now up and working beautifully - thank you

zeroseven said:
He ASSUMED it was and he ASSUMED it was working. He probably ASSUMED I hadn't noted where the wires went also.

Which, given that you said this:-

zeroseven said:
Can I cap two and use just one of them?

is probably a fair set of assumptions to make. Did you think the original spark put 3 cables in because 3 was his lucky number?

slippyr4 said:
zeroseven said:

Which, given that you said this:-

zeroseven said:
Can I cap two and use just one of them?

is probably a fair set of assumptions to make. Did you think the original spark put 3 cables in because 3 was his lucky number?

Wouldn't surprise me. This home was built by Bryant, the standard of finish is beyond belief, how it ever got signed off is a complete mystery.

Ever see a house with no mains water stop cock? Ever had a live hot water pipe in the airing cupboard?

So lucky number? Why not. Whoever the little team working on this house were have probably killed each other by now.

Aha! so you've found my little side line.

What ever you do, don't touch the.............

Too late!!

Sorry zeroseven but I also feel obliged to defend BAS. What you actually said in your original post was:

I have a ceiling light fitting in a box bedroom.

Which would give the impression of a ceiling rose rather than wires hanging down from the roof ...

And also:
When I said it wasn't working ...

In your original post you never said whether it was working or not - you just stated the fact that are 3 grey mains cables coming from the aperture.

Qedelec said:
Aha! so you've found my little side line.

What ever you do, don't touch the.............

Too late!!

Yes, even though they say 'hot' for 'live' over the pond, might have been wise to not have used the hot water pipe for a phase conductor, heh QED? :LOL:

I just thought that as that lovely copper pipe went to all the rooms it would make a nice busbar. I gave it a nice coat of insulating paint. Maybe I shouldn't have turned on the water :D

zeroseven said:
Wouldn't surprise me. This home was built by Bryant, the standard of finish is beyond belief, how it ever got signed off is a complete mystery.

Ever see a house with no mains water stop cock? Ever had a live hot water pipe in the airing cupboard?

So lucky number? Why not. Whoever the little team working on this house were have probably killed each other by now.

All new build houses should come with a 10 year warranty - Bryant should sort that out for you at no cost.

Where is the Earth Bonding required for the Airing Cupboard - particularly if an immersion heater is fitted?

Something's badly wrong here - shouldn't the 13amp fuse in the immersion's FCU operate in the event of a short-out to earthed metalwork?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back