Too many computers?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've come across a couple of snippets recently while I've been investigating the best way to rewire my house:

(1) PC computers typically leak 3-5mA to earth during normal operation.

(2) A circuit should not have normal earth leakage of more than 1/3 the level of any RCD protection

Adding these together, it seems that putting more than 3 computers on a 30mA RCD system is against regs. If all the sockets share a single RCD at the CU, then this puts a limit on the number of PCs you can run in a house.

So, questions are:

(1) Are my `facts' correct?

(2) Has anyone had their household RCD pop due to too many computers?

(3) If you don't want to have unprotected sockets (and have more than 3 PCs), is splitting off one (or more) of the circuits onto a separate 30mA RCBO the best way to go?

(4) Does running the computers via UPS systems make any difference to the earth leakage?

(5) Do other items (e.g. TV) leak to earth in this way?

Sponsored Links
(1) PC computers typically leak 3-5mA to earth during normal operation.

This would mean an impedance of less than 240k ohm, and down to 120k ohm. This seems highly unlikely.

Offices and factories can have perhaps a hundred PCs on a power circuit, or 1/4 to 1/2 amp leakage, not acceptable, too dangerous.

Since much of todays equipment uses switch mode power supplies, they are the same as PC supplies, and so we would have all of the trips going most of the time.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back