Too many Spurs to add another ???

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all, new to site, first post.

Having an issue with adding a new double socket. I have moved into a new house and the attic has a set of stairs ( not ladders ) and a decent floor fitted. There is a light circit but no power.

Naturally I assumed, just wire a spur through a RCD for added saftey and my eldest daughter has an extra bit of space to use or possibly an un-official study etc.

The problem is I have a concrete base on the house, so the downstairs sockets are all spurs from a 30 amp ring mains upstairs.

There are 5 double sockets upstairs and every one has 3 cables in them. So I am assuming all 5 already run a spur.

Is there anything I can do about this ?

I do have a socket I am happy to lose in the kitchen as we have 5 doubles and this particular one doesn't get used at all.

Sponsored Links
Use an fcu between the ring socket and an existing spur, then you can add an extra leg to the spur.

Ring - fcu - spur 1 - spur 2

Assuming you are correct about the ring

Hi, thanks for the reply. Is there any way I can test or check that I am correct without equipment ?

Not really but a multimeter will set you back around a tenner and be suitable for testing continuity between each leg.

Sponsored Links
Cherrs again for reply. I apologise for the lack of knowledge, although I am aware of continuity, as you probably guessed Im no pro. I left college after pt 1 elec instal's. Ended up a ceiling fixer.

Would I notice a difference on the meter between the ring circit and the spur ?

Touch the probes together when set to ohms, you will see the needle move. Turn the power off and probe the two lives together, same with neutrals and earths. You are looking for the same movement on a ring, a radial won't move due no continuity between the legs.

Ahh, I understand. I will pop to b&Q tomorrow on the way home and pick up a multimeter. I will at least have peace of mind before moving ahead. Thanks again.

Just remember you are checking continuity between pairs of live and pairs of neutral, not between live and neutral.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back