Tools rusting in cellar

I see. Would this also then explain the high levels of humidity and condensation in the cellar ???

This has now become pretty clear to me why the previous owner was in a desperate hurry to move. She just wanted out and dropped the price of the property too.

I don't know if I can do much about it :(

Sponsored Links
There's loads you can do depending on your budget and needs. A damp cellar isn't going to make you run away like it's haunted!
As has been suggested, you can tank it and have it as a room if you're loaded. Or if you're not, just don't use it for anything that damp will damage.
You could put a dehumidifier or small radiator down there and put it in a tent made of plastic sheeting that's on a platform a few inches or so off the ground. You'd still need the pump though if you want stuff near floor level.

Everything has a solution if you can find it.

There's loads you can do depending on your budget and needs. A damp cellar isn't going to make you run away like it's haunted!
As has been suggested, you can tank it and have it as a room if you're loaded. Or if you're not, just don't use it for anything that damp will damage.
You could put a dehumidifier or small radiator down there and put it in a tent made of plastic sheeting that's on a platform a few inches or so off the ground. You'd still need the pump though if you want stuff near floor level.

Everything has a solution if you can find it.

I'd be happy to follow your suggestions, but only once I know that I've eliminated all possible sources of where the water is coming from.

Let us know before you eliminate the water cycle? I'd like to stock up on Evian.. ;)

Sponsored Links
Would this also then explain the high levels of humidity and condensation in the cellar ???
I would start by blaming condensation on a lack of ventilation. My cellar has a similar problem because the old window was bricked up and has only a single air vent for the whole cellar. I intend to add more in the summer.

I would start by blaming condensation on a lack of ventilation. My cellar has a similar problem because the old window was bricked up and has only a single air vent for the whole cellar. I intend to add more in the summer.

I can understand the upstairs rooms, having a lack of ventilation, but this cellar has two air bricks and when you walk in, it is very cold due to the amount of draft circulating.

Regarding the water issue....I've been looking further into this and according to the government websites, they advise that it's unlikely to be groundwater if it's straight during/after a rainfall - my cellar flooded within hours of a heavy rainfall. Also they state that if it was groundwater, it would keep coming and not quickly recede - like mine did.

Some info from their websites:-

"There are some key features of
flooding from groundwater:
• Flooding will usually occur days or
even weeks after heavy or
prolonged rainfall.
• Flooding may occur for a long time,
often lasting several weeks.
• The water doesn’t always appear
where you would expect it to (i.e.
valley bottoms). It may also
emerge on hillsides.
• Water may rise up through
floors rather than coming in
through doors."

https://bgs.ac.uk/research/groundwater/flooding/groundwaterHomesFAQ.html

"Groundwater flooding is not necessarily linked directly to a specific rainfall event and is generally of longer duration than other causes of flooding (possibly lasting for weeks or even months).

Groundwater levels are generally highest in early spring and lowest in early autumn. Therefore flooding that occurs in June to September is not normally caused by groundwater. Flooding that responds rapidly to rainfall events is also unlikely to be caused by high groundwater levels; exceptions do occur if the water table is normally very shallow and it has been very wet."

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back