Tools rusting in cellar

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys,

I've moved to a 1935 semi-detached house, and it's got a basement which within a month of moving has caused most of my tools and any other metal items I placed within it to rust. I then realised that some of the air vents were partially blocked and air circulation was limited, so I've unblocked them.

But I'm not sure if this will reduce or resolve the problem. Is there anything else I could do to further my goal of reducing moisture?

Sponsored Links
The metal tools will likely form condensation upon them thus accelerating the rust process. Warm the cellar somehow?

Thanks guys. Surely running radiators will cost a lot of money as I've opened up the vents to cool down the cellar?

Another problem is that I've installed my new burglar alarm panel within the cellar, so does this mean that will also rust away?

Sponsored Links
Surely running radiators will cost a lot of money
So does buying new tools! :D I had a radiator moved from my hall (where I didn't really need it) down into the cellar, so it doesn't cost me any more than normal. You're not trying to warm the whole room up to normal living temperature, just warm enough to un-damp it.

Another problem is that I've installed my new burglar alarm panel within the cellar, so does this mean that will also rust away?
Maybe, unless the electrical heat it generates is enough to keep it dry.

Surely running radiators will cost a lot of money
So does buying new tools! :D I had a radiator moved from my hall (where I didn't really need it) down into the cellar, so it doesn't cost me any more than normal. You're not trying to warm the whole room up to normal living temperature, just warm enough to un-damp it.

Maybe, unless the electrical heat it generates is enough to keep it dry.

Your right.....I'd be happy to install a radiator and this would be the long-term solution, but I'd need time and finances to get this done. But for now, what if I used a dehumidifier instead?

Please correct me if I'm wrong, but my own understanding was that if the external wall vents are blocked (in my case they were), then this would also cause condensation as moisture would be trapped with no air circulation to dry it out...Am I wrong in thinking that?

Last edited:
Make sure it is ventillated really well then it should be fine. I assume that the walls aren't dripping wet and there is no standing water.

if you want to use heating, look for a cabinet, such as an old steel office cupboard, where the doors can be closed and a small heater, such as a pipe heater, put at the bottom. Raising the temperature by only a fraction above the rest of the cellar will prevent condensation inside. It will be cheaper and more effective than trying to heat the whole cellar. Space it off the floor and walls.

@TheVictorian - The walls aren't dripping wet, however, the brickwork is crumbling away and any metalwork in sight is rusted. I've unblocked the vent which was partially filled with rubble, but I'm not sure if this is enough as I can't feel much air coming in.

@JohnD - That's a great idea. I'll have to look for one, but I doubt it if I could find a pipe heater.

BTW is there anything I could do with the floor? The reason I ask, is because it's made out of stone and I think all the damp is coming from there.

JohnD - Thanks for the link. I do have vents on both sides of the house, however this is actually a room (possibly an old coal room???) within the cellar, so it has only one vent located in this room. I hope this makes sense?

cut holes in the walls.

Last edited:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back